Micro SW has become unplugged!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Azntron

After moving my cpu into my new house, I tried to boot it up, only to have it die via no power shortly after. I opened my case and found a white wire wrapped around a black wire, with one end connected to what I assume has to be ground, and the other a female two-pin connector piece titled MICRO SW. I'm by no means a computer tech, so any help would be awesome. I have an Asus motherboard, though i'm not sure which one. If someone could tell me where I could find the model, that would be awesome also.

Azntron

I'm unable to run anything on the cpu in question, because this Micro SW has something to do with the power. It's the only thing that's unplugged, and my cpu won't power up. The green LED on the motherboard is on, but when I push the power button nothing happens.

Yeah... right. Sorry, I'm a bit dizzy today.
I googled about 30 secs and found that MICRO SW is used for intrusion detection (sees if your case is opened), so that hardly would cause the comp not to boot... Take a picture of your motherboard, an overview pic and a zoom of the zone where the wires from the front of the case connect to.

Azntron

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Let me know if you need any more pictures.

Look on the motherboard. The model number with revision number should be stenciled somewhere on the board. There may not be a revision number, just a model number.

BTW, your cooler heatsink needs to be cleaned.

that wire is not needed to run the MB, in fact the MB will run with nothing but the psu, ram, cpu and gfx card installed by touching the 2 psu sw pins together so that is not your problem

Azntron

that wire is not needed to run the MB, in fact the MB will run with nothing but the psu, ram, cpu and gfx card installed by touching the 2 psu sw pins together so that is not your problem
If this is the case, what could have bumped loose while moving the tower? The Micro SW is the only thing that appears to be unconnected.

from what you are saying youre psu may have died, I would read the sticky at the top of the forum for fixing troubled computers, you may want to reseat all of your plugs take them out and put back in including your ram sticks, make sure the cpu cooler and fan are still on solidly.

lets clarify what dead means, do you get any fans running any beeps anything on the monitor or only a green light on the mb with nothing else

Azntron

This is correct.

When I finished unpacking, I set up my computer area. I then booted my PC, and logged onto Vista. I left the room to get a beer, and when I came back, my cpu wasn't running. I pushed the power button, and it started to boot. It ran for about five seconds, then turned off again. After this, it refused to power up at all. No fans, the only thing showing me it was power is the green LED on the motherboard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online