1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Micro SW has become unplugged!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azntron, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

After moving my cpu into my new house, I tried to boot it up, only to have it die via no power shortly after. I opened my case and found a white wire wrapped around a black wire, with one end connected to what I assume has to be ground, and the other a female two-pin connector piece titled MICRO SW. I'm by no means a computer tech, so any help would be awesome. I have an Asus motherboard, though i'm not sure which one. If someone could tell me where I could find the model, that would be awesome also.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Use SIW to find out your mobo model.

3. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

I'm unable to run anything on the cpu in question, because this Micro SW has something to do with the power. It's the only thing that's unplugged, and my cpu won't power up. The green LED on the motherboard is on, but when I push the power button nothing happens.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah... right. Sorry, I'm a bit dizzy today.
    I googled about 30 secs and found that MICRO SW is used for intrusion detection (sees if your case is opened), so that hardly would cause the comp not to boot... Take a picture of your motherboard, an overview pic and a zoom of the zone where the wires from the front of the case connect to.

5. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Let me know if you need any more pictures.

[​IMG]

6. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

7. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Look on the motherboard. The model number with revision number should be stenciled somewhere on the board. There may not be a revision number, just a model number.

BTW, your cooler heatsink needs to be cleaned.

9. brite750

brite750

that wire is not needed to run the MB, in fact the MB will run with nothing but the psu, ram, cpu and gfx card installed by touching the 2 psu sw pins together so that is not your problem

10. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

If this is the case, what could have bumped loose while moving the tower? The Micro SW is the only thing that appears to be unconnected.

11. brite750

brite750

from what you are saying youre psu may have died, I would read the sticky at the top of the forum for fixing troubled computers, you may want to reseat all of your plugs take them out and put back in including your ram sticks, make sure the cpu cooler and fan are still on solidly.

12. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

Mobo model: ABN SLI 32 Deluxe(?)

13. brite750

brite750

lets clarify what dead means, do you get any fans running any beeps anything on the monitor or only a green light on the mb with nothing else

14. BG-0

BG-0

15. Azntron

Azntron Thread Starter

This is correct.

When I finished unpacking, I set up my computer area. I then booted my PC, and logged onto Vista. I left the room to get a beer, and when I came back, my cpu wasn't running. I pushed the power button, and it started to boot. It ran for about five seconds, then turned off again. After this, it refused to power up at all. No fans, the only thing showing me it was power is the green LED on the motherboard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice