1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

microatx board in atx case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plschwartz, Dec 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

Am looking for a mb with intergrated video to help a friend with an upgrade at minimal cost. Found this only in micro atx form. Will that fit into her atx case?
    Thanks

2. n2gun

n2gun

check the link below for mb w/ cpu and fan- full sized or mid sized w/ video. You should be able to find one with a good price there and if you watch closely, you will be able to use any pc100 or pc133 memory she has in the upgrade..

http://www.pricewatch.com/

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Good idea about checking Pricewatch, I use them all the time.

To answer the original question, most generic ATX or micro-ATX motherboards should fit a generic ATX case. The problems usually come when you're working with a brand name like HP, Gateway, Compaq, or IBM. They have their own form-factor for components as a rule.

4. plschwartz

Thanks guys:
    N2gun and johnwill thank you. I just never knew about pricewatch and it fits my style.
    The bad news is that it is an HP case, but the old board looks pretty much like a standard atx. I guess I'll have to take it home and line it up with my atx case and see where the holes are. If not maybe I can fake it. I have a couple of old plastic AT edge standoffs.
    BTW is the power supply connector the same as full atx?

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

Yep all generic ATX format factor boards use the same power connector, the exception being Dell

6. plschwartz

Good ole Dell... DUDE its a dud

7. n2gun

n2gun

Another option is to get a motherboard and case combo. On pricewatch check under pc-kits. This is a case and motherboard, cpu, and case combination. You would also have to get a heatsink and fan for the cpu, but you would be able to use the drives, and other things from the old one. Still quite a bit cheaper than a complete computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/107437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice