1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microphone and Stereo Mix on Skype Gets Interrupted Whenever The Other Line Talks

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by LogiRogi, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I have a PC currently running Windows 7 Ultimate using small Dell speakers plugged into the front jack of my computer to play music and using the mic from Durherm DR-H10 headset/mic combo on the front mic jack. I have been trying to broadcast Youtube videos and music to my brother and get the mic working so that we can talk while listening/watching what I broadcast via Skype. He uses a pair of USB headphones with his desktop.

I think we got it working at least once, but we can't get it to work again. He's often busy during the day so I thought I'd try using my Android's Skype app and my PC Skype and different accounts to test it out. I'm sure a phone is different in many ways from a PC in regards to these sound issues, but I am able to broadcast to it and the main problem still persists.

I've been using the program Voicemeeter Banana to set up two channels, Stereo Mix and mic, and then having the Hardware Output for it be Realtek Digital Output. On Skype for the mic option in Audio Settings I'm using Voicemeeter Output and am using "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio") for the Speakers option.

The problem is that although I am able to broadcast the music my computer is playing to the other person as well as my voice at the same time with no overlapping, whenever the other person talks they seem to interrupt both the music and mic until they stop talking. Is there any way to fix this that will not have any echos or further problems?

For even further information about the devices I'm using to broadcast: For playback I'm using the Realtek speakers as default device and for recording devices I'm using my microphone as default communication device and "Voicemeeter Output" as the default device.

Thanks. We've been trying to fix this for many hours now and as you can imagine it can be frustrating getting close but still having a problem.

2. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Okay guys, I still have the same problem and no one's responded here in a week.

I'm trying to use various online programs like VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) and Skype to try and eliminate the interruptions, but they don't seem to work. Are these pesky interruptions just a part of using Stereo Mix and mic on Skype or is there something I can do? Is there a way to play mu computer's sounds and mic over Skype without using Stereo Mix?

I can't believe there doesn't seem to many guides on this covering these interruptions as it continues to happen with multiple applications. Often, when I talk the hosted music and other person's mic are cut off as long as I'm talking. Please help me out.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Stereo Mix is just an option to combine the two audio channels (ie: audio output and mic) and is most likely not the cause the of the trouble. VAC and the other options you mention, are other options for those that don't have Stereo Mix (it's not supported by all hardware or driver versions), or for those trying to mix other audio channels.

This could be a Skype issue, or the other software (VoiceMeter) you also have in the path.

4. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

I haven't been using Voicemeeter or selecting any of its functions as default for my last few tests. If it is Skype, do you think there is a particular setting I could change? Or, conversely, do you know of any program that is like Skype and allows Stereo Mix with microphones? If it is indeed Skype then some other program should work fine with the settings.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You mentioned twice that you are using Voicemeeter. Voicemeeter does the same thing as Stereo Mix. Have you tried disabling Stereo Mix and simply using Voicemeeter? Having a bunch of different applications installed which can affect the audio path is not helpful when you are troubleshooting. Even if they aren't being "used", they are installed and could have already made changes.

Also, while you are fixated on Stereo Mix, or the audio combination in general, that isn't the problem (unless I further misread what you are saying) and you have confirmed stereo mix is working. The problem appears to be the audio output (from you) is disabled when the other end of the connection replies. That could be a Skype or audio config issue. It's common in some communication apps to prevent people from talking over each other.

I don't use Skype, so I can't confirm what audio options are available. But they do have a support page: https://support.skype.com/en/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice