Microphone doesn't work on laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

edendewit

Whenever I try to use my microphone in any app, it doesn't work, even when I plug in my headphones, my headphones get recognized as a playback device but not a recording device (aux). I am using a Lenovo S540-15IWL GTX.(On OS build 18363.1316 and
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40700 WIN, s/n YN008PD0
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n YN008PD0)

The bar doesn't move at all when I speak into my microphone or my laptop. I tried changing default devices but that didn't do anything.

r/Windows10 - microphone doesn't work on laptop
I tried reinstalling my audio drivers multiple times (realtek) from the lenovo website and the official realtek website but it just doesn't do the trick, Every guide online is just telling me to reinstall drivers or to troubleshoot, but this doesn't work. I also checked the privacy and everything seems in order there. Also changing audio enhancements etc.. doesn't do anything.

The only fix that I found is temporarily, and that is by deleting the realtek drivers, then it gets replaced with Microsoft's High definition audio driver, but even after setting my PC to not automatically update drivers, after a couple of restarts realtek audio is back. But because I can sometimes make it work temporarily, I know it isn't an issue with my headphones or inbuilt mic.

The only thing I did notice is that in my device manager there is a driver that isn't on my pc with a yellow warning sign called Detection verification.

r/Windows10 - microphone doesn't work on laptop
Does anyone have a different fix that I could try except for a full restore? I'm in the middle of the exams and can't really afford to delete everything and reinstall everything. Many thanks!

Fireflycph

Morten
The Detection Verification "Other Devices" is generally caused by an Audio Issue. Which makes sense as you're having that exact problem.

Is this the filename you got from Lenovo? "q8s5010f09mu.exe"

There is an issue with the file. I downloaded it, opened it with 7-Zip to view what was in it. One folder contains a zip file that fails CRC. It's quite possible that that particular file is what you need to make it work.

Can you please click on the unknown device. Select Details. Then select Hardware IDs.
Then either post the h/w IDs or - even better - a screenshot of them.

I will see if I can find the driver(s) somewhere else.

Edit: Have you tried to manually update the "Other Device". By clicking, select Driver, Update Driver, Browse my computer and point to the folder where the driver file unpacked? When I did it it was under "C:\DRIVERS\11.Audio\Realtek"

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online