1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microphone doesn't work on my pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PandaUshanka, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PandaUshanka

PandaUshanka Thread Starter

As of recently, my headset microphone has stopped working on my computer. However, speakers or headphones do work, and I can hear everything perfectly fine, and the microphone from my headset works fine on my mobile device. I have tried different audio jacks on my computer, and the issue is still there. No matter what audio jacks I use, the microphone does not work on my computer. The headset I use is the Razer Kraken Pro, and the cord is split into two inputs, as shown in this picture: https://mobile.donanimhaber.com/store/e1/e4/aa/e1e4aaa583a41d696f2ff044f12ea2a8.jpg. The computer I am using is an ASUS Desktop PC running windows 10. and my specs can be found here: https://imgur.com/vA6eli0. I am not sure how to fix this problem, as it happened out of nowhere and I cannot find the source. I would appreciate any help, and I'm thankful for any attempts at solving this problem.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi PandaUshanka, and welcome to TSG.

Did you use the splitter adapter cable when you tested the headset on your phone? If not, is it possible the splitter cable could have a broken connection in the microphone line?

Have you only tested the microphone with one particular game or other software on the computer? If so, can you test it with other software?

Have you checked the Windows sound control panel to see if the microphone may have accidentally been muted or attenuated?

3. PandaUshanka

I do not use the splitter cable with my phone, because my phone does not have the mic in slot, but it does have one for speakers or headphones/headsets. I just tested a pair of earbuds on my computer, with and without the splitter cable, and the microphone does not work with those on pc either. The microphone and audio for both the speakers and headset work perfectly on my phone, but they seem to stop working on my computer. I have tried a voice recorder program and the communication program 'Discord', and they both work fine on my phone, but stop working on the computer. I checked the sound control panel, and it does not appear to be muted. It seems to be an issue linked to my computer, but I do not believe that it is physical as the jacks are not damaged and I can hear the audio perfectly fine.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You lost me on this one. Do the earbuds also have some kind of built-in microphone? If that is the case, how do you test their microphone portion on the computer both with and without the adapter cable?

5. PandaUshanka

The earbuds also have a built-in microphone, but they do not require the splitter cable to function, unlike the headset.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you tested both the front and rear microphone jacks?

7. PandaUshanka

Yes, I have. Neither of them seem to work for me.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have read that Windows 10 updates can sometimes mess up the drivers for various hardware on some computers. If you have not yet done so, you could try updating any sound related drivers on your computer. If you already have the current versions, then a re-installation may help. Did your computer come with Windows 10 pre-installed or did it come with an earlier version of Windows and you upgraded to Windows 10?

9. PandaUshanka

It came with windows 10 already installed. I just reinstalled my audio drivers, and it did not fix the problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice