1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microphone doesn't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goroyboy, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

Sound card: Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI and a Creative microphone. I went to the website and followed instructions for selecting the microphone as a recording device, etc. At the bottom of their instruction it suggested to go to the Device Manager, double-click on Computer and look for IRQ conflicts. The sound card was listed at 10 along with Diamond Viper V550 for Windows 98 and IRQ Holder for PCI Steering (the latter they said belonged there). Would the video card cause the mike to not work? I can play CD's receive sound over the internet from another mike, but mine doesn't register. How do I test it? I attempted to make a wave file, but nothing recorded. I can hear the sound when I insert it into the sound card. Thanks for your help.
    Roy

2. beach51

beach51

Try this,Double click on the speaker icon in the system tray,to open the volume control.Look for microphone balance and volume slider.If you dont see it,click on the options button then click properties.Make sure Playback is selected in the adjust volume for box.In the volume control list make sure theres a checkmark in the box for microphone,then click ok.Also put a checkmark in the box below microphone,if it is marked Mute.If the box is marked Select,uncheck the box,then click ok.Go back to properties,and select recording in the Adjust volume for box,then click ok.Uncheck the box below Microphone if it is marked Mute.If the box is marked Select place a checkmark in the box.Make sure the microphone volume is up at least halfway.

3. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

Beach51 Thanx for the reply. Followed your instructions and attempted to record a "test" wav file and only got the graphics, no sound. The mike is plugged into the "red" receptor so I think its ok. Everything else on the sound card works fine!

4. beach51

beach51

Roy,Is your mic attached to a headset?Or do you have just the mic.

5. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

No headset, just the mike. Its a Creative by Telex

6. beach51

beach51

Ok,Roy,try this,Go to sound recorder,click on edit and then audio properties,click on playback and make sure theres a checkmark in the mute box under microphone and the volume under microphone is all the way down.In the volume control balance make sure the slider for volume is about 1/2 way up.Then click on Perferred Device and make sure there a checkmark in the box under microphone where it says Select.Then click on advanced properties and make sure the settings are set at full acceleration and sample rate conversion quility is set at best.

7. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

Beach, I did everything as you listed it, opened a new file in sound recorder and spoke into the mic for a test recording, opened the MS Media Player, opened the test file and got a beautiful ambiance flower but no sound. I've got to be doing something wrong in the recording end. When I play the "Beck" file of MS, it's nice! I really appreciate your time in trying to help me out.

8. beach51

beach51

Ok Roy,when you do a test in sound recorder,does the green line stay flat or does it spike when you talk into the mic.Also make sure your microphone is pluged into the right jack.

9. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

The mic is in the right plug (red one) but the green line is flat--obviously nothing is getting through. I'm beginning to think the sound card (plug) is bad.

10. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

Beach, I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it, then checked all the settings to confrom to what you outlined, still a flat line! )o: Roy

11. beach51

beach51

Hmmmmmm,well am about out of ideas.Try this Roy,go back to sound recorder,click on edit and then audio properties,click on playback,where you have a checkmark in the mute box under microphone,take that out.Then go to perferred device and then options,make sure theres a checkmark in recording and in the window,make sure microphone is checked.Just a thought,wondering if the mic is bad?Do you have access to a mic you know works???

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, goroyboy

You may have already said (and I missed it, the thread is getting long....) what is being displayed for your playback and recording device in the control panel, under muti-media?

Other than the "red" place for the mic to go into, what are the other choices, and what do each of them say off the side?

13. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

AudioPCI Playback and AudioPCI Recording. There is one for the speakers, one for line input and the one for mic (it has pix of mic).

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, since I'm about out of ideas as well, and it's almost looking like it has to be a mic problem, but I've yet to see one of them little boogers go by the way side....

Just for fun, try plugging the mic in the other "line input" and give it a try and see what happens.....

And I'm also curious as to the video card being on the same IRQ.....do you have another one free?

15. goroyboy

goroyboy Thread Starter

I just tested the mic on my other computer and its good. So either the mic plug on the sound card is bad or there is something to the IRQ conflict, but that doesn't make any sense since everything else on the sound card works fine! I'll plug it into the line in. Didn't work. Guess there is something else. I don't know how many IRQ's are available so I don't know what would be "free". Am leary of wiping out the video and rebooting. Thanx for your suggestions and help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice