1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microphone doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Grand751, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand751

Grand751 Thread Starter

My friend's microphone suddenly stopped working today; he has the same sound card as me (X-Fi Xtremegamer), but a different headphone w/mic than me. What I was interested in was that I told him to go to the sound and recording tab and told him to say anything. He said that the green bar that moves up based on how loud they talk was ALWAYS 100% green even when he said nothing. I'm just curious if he's able to fix his mic based on this information or will he have to get a new mic? He has windows home premium 64-bit by the way.

2. DaBeers

DaBeers

Hmm, this sounds familliar.
    Have him open Task manager, then view processes for all users. This will allow you to view Vista(windows) processes that are running. Look for audiodg.exe and post back here at to it's status. I would bet you a beaver that it is running out of control.(If not, you can keep the beaver)

In my case, this meant an incompatable sound device (AC97). Since your device for sound is better than the upgrade I bought to fix it, I would have to think this would be a driver issue, as compatability should not be an issue.

Try uninstalling the device from Device Manager(without deleting the drivers) and rebooting. Allow Vista to reinstall the drivers and see if the problem is gone.

From here there are two possible outcomes. Either it won't do a thing, or it will go away. If the later, it will probably return. So, here I some additional thoughts.

In my quest to force the 'sometimes working' audio issues to work in my favor without a upgrade, I read that many people found that desktop sound enhancement programs often cause problems with audiodg.exe. It seems that things like reverb can cause an unending loop that will spike cpu and ram usage. Under this environment, you get terrible sound lag, or no sound at all. Look for anything related to this that could be disabled.

If none of these work, secure the latest drivers and try removing the device and checking the box to delete the drivers. Install the set you obtained and check the prograss.

I have to admit, all the audiodg.exe issues I have encountered have to do with sound output. I could be way off thinking this is the problem. It could be something as simple as mistakingly plugging the mic into the line out.

GL.

3. Grand751

Grand751 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll tell him when he gets on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice