Microphone not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Leginmat

Hello,

I've asked plenty of other forums but haven't really got a real response. A friend suggested this site to me and mentioned it's really good (y) :D

My problem: I recently received a Logitech Headset from my mother in the US so returning it is out of the question :p When I first plugged it in, it worked perfectly fine. I have SoundMAX so it tells me which jack to place it in and I also can match the colours ;) :p After a couple days of use, I noticed people couldn't hear me so I tested and no sound was recorded. I then plugged it into my sister's and father's and it works perfectly fine.

Any ideas to what is causing this problem? The headset still funtions as ear phones I guess as it still plays sounds. Its just that the microphone is not fuctioning. If you need any other information, I'll be glad to supply it. Thanks!

best,
Nigel

Is it a TRS configuration? Check here for details of what TRS is. Perhaps your hardware is slightly out or slightly older and not configured to handle it.

Since it works on other PCs its probably not the headphones. Don't take this wrong but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Have you checked the sound options like "Mute" check boxes, etc? Open the volume control panel and check levels. You might have to click "options then properties" and add the microphone box since it has its own "Mute" box...

Leginmat

Yes, I've already checked through every one of those sliders and put my sliders up etc. Would I maybe need to update my drivers for my sound card? I really have no clue what it is though :p My motherboard is an Intel D865PERL, old hardware or not? :S

After reading that TRS information, I still haven't got a clue what it is! :p Sorry for being a nuisance. Thanks!

Best,
Nigel

Each part of TRS is assigned to the different parts of useage, ie channel, earth etc.

Each part of the plug has it's own contact. Each contact has a different role (in your case - signal in, signal out etc.).
Perhaps your system has not been designed for this. Or, perhaps one of the contacts is slighltly bent, therefore not touching the part of the jack that needs that signal, in effect, only giving you signal in and not out (or vice-versa).

Leginmat

I've just tested once again and it's up and working again!? This really is strange. Thanks for all your help once again :) It was much appreciated. (Now I know a bit more about comps!)

You might have onboard sound. Right click my computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager box. Check sound devices and see what you have. You can also download Everest, very good program that gives alot of system info thats easy to follow.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

The onboard sound could be going bad or the jack could be also. If it fails again try installing a sound card. They are pretty cheap if you can't borrow one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online