1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microphone Problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gozz, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gozz

Gozz Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am new to this community & I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.
    I've tried looking up other ways you guys solved microphone problems but none of those seem to work for me.

Lets start from the beginning.
    I used to have a Logitech Headset with a microphone built in, I loved it & then out of nowhere the microphone broke but the headset still worked.

I went out & bought a cheap microphone that sits on my desk, it worked perfectly when I would just plug it in to my front computer jack.

I now have a new computer & out of nowhere this microphone doesn't work, I have no idea why.
    I plug it in to the correct jack in the front, I've checked if anything is muted & it isn't, I just don't know what to do anymore.

I also have a monitor with a built in microphone, but it doesn't work while gaming.
    My monitor is a Dell SP2208WFP 22".
    Also when I plug my headset into the green jack in the front it won't work either, I don't know why.

I've plugged the microphone in to the back and it won't work there either.
    I've plugged in the headphones to the back too but it plays through the speakers at the same time as the headset.

I'm starting to think that the front panel of my computer is not working properly since I did have it built at CyberPower.

Is there anything else you'd like to know to help me resolve this issue?
    It's getting annoying not being able to communicate without it.

I'm using Realtek HD Audio.
    (I'm not sure of the exact name sorry)

Sorry for the whole story,
    Gozz

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    Do you have another computer to test them on and double check they work? could save a lot of time if you check that first. In my experience the cheaper ones never seem to last that long.

3. Gozz

Gozz Thread Starter

Good idea, I'll check first thing tomorrow morning on the other computer to see if this mic still works.
    I'll keep you updated.

4. Gozz

Gozz Thread Starter

I checked my microphone on another computer & it does work.

I saw someone post somewhere that if my monitor had a built in webcam & microphone that it sometimes takes to be the default, but I don't know how to change that, so that my microphone becomes the default.

5. Fitz

Fitz

In The Advanced Controls in the Mic setup in Sound and Audio devices/Voice/ make sure that Front Panel is unchecked if your mic leads are jacked into the back sockets...it took me a while to find out that his had stopped my new mic from working

6. Gozz

Gozz Thread Starter

Well, I want my mic to work when I plug it in to the front panel, & my headphones.
    I called the company that made my computer & they're sending me a whole front panel for my computer because they think it's defective.
    So I'm going to install that in & see what happens.

Hopefully I'll get some results.

But I tried doing your method & to tell you he truth I couldn't find where to go.
    Here's what I did.

Control Panel> Sounds & Audio Devices> Voice Tab> ???

& then from there I didn't know where you wanted me to go, under the 'voice recording' device the 'advanced' button is grayed out & if I hi advanced on the 'playback' button there's no where I can uncheck the Front Panel.

Thanks.

7. Fitz

Fitz

There 's a Test Hardware button that is active which you have to go through before the Advanced button is activated, then you'll see the two panels I mentioned, but you could try the rear sockets, though it does sound as if you have problems with those from what you wrote in your original post. If you do find that the Front Panel box is checked, try unchecking it like I did, because that is how I made my mic work when plugged in the back socket.

8. Gozz

Gozz Thread Starter

Weird..
    When I did the Test hardware I spoke in to the mi like it told me to, as I was reading the recording was very low, so when I hit 'next' it started doing this weird playback thing & there was a ton of echo and I wasn't saying anything, it was really strange.

I kind of had it working on Battlefield 2 for a little while but I'd get that echo thing happening & I didn't want to blow people's eardrums out because it was super annoying, so I just turned it off.

9. Fitz

Fitz

Yes teh feedback you get in your headphone plays back what you said a few seconds before, so this is perfectly normal. The main thing is that it would therefore seem that the mic is working if it's recording ok.

10. Gozz

Gozz Thread Starter

I understand, but the problem is when I want to play in Battlefield 2 & I want to speak through the mic, get a ton of echo & feedback & some weird noises.
    It's like it also picks up the noise coming through the speakers which is weird since it never did that before.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice