Microphone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Suewatters1

How do I know if my system recognizes my microphone; it simply doesn't work. I have onboard audio AC97 I upgrade the driver I have windows XPsp2. I can get music to play but when I test my microphone; by going to control panel in sound and audio devices no response. I even go to sound effect manager and click stereo mic and that doesn't help. Can my problem be my on board system or is it configuration problem.
Thanks for your time.
Sue

When we first bought a mic, we spent ages trying to make it work.

In the end, we found that by default, the mic part of the volume control was muted and we had to manually "un-mute" it.

Seemed so obvious after the hours we wasted on different diagnostics, plugging and unplugging of the mic etc!!

Have you checked the volume settings?

Suewatters1

I checked the volume setting everywhere I can think of. My system doesn't even show I have microphone connected I always had some problem in the past my microphone wasn't working at it best bought new one then it worked but not that great. I reformated my hardrive and reloaded windows a few days ago and installed a new video card FXF NVIDIA 5200. Would it show in device manager if I had a microphone connected? My system is P4 1.7ghz. Thanks for your help :)
Sue

I have the same onboard soundcard, so try this: -

Double click on Sounds and Audio devices in the Control Panel
Click on the Audio tab
in the Sound Recording area click on Volume
Make sure that Microphone is ticked
Click on the Advanced button under Microphone
Tick the option to use Alternate Microphone and if necessary Microphone Boost

This worked for me. Hope it does the same for you.

Suewatters1

Saxon thanks for your reply. Sorry didn't get back to you sooner; didn't get an email saying you replied so just today checked the forum. Tried everything you said; nothing; will try my microphone on another computer tonight to see if it recognize it. Where the microphone volume and stuff it's grey on top like maybe my system doesn't recognized because my microphone is finish or the plugin on the back of the system is finish. Will let you know more tomorrow.
Thanks again
Sue

I'm having the same problem but I can't check the square in the microphone.It just won't let me,the check box is there.

Suewatters1

Hi I still have problem with my microphone. It's like the computer doesn't recognized that I have one plugged in even bought a new microphone. Might just buy a new sound card. Any recommendation? (I have AC97 audio onboard).

Sue Watters

Suewatters1

Hi I did update my audio drive that didn't help. Will keep trying for a while to find a solution then will get new sound card.
Sue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online