Microphone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beccamac0430

I have a Toshiba Satellite A350, and my microphone isn't working. I've tried digging through all the settings etc. To no avail. I'm running WinVista64. My hard drive was replaced last summer, but I don't know whether the mic was working prior to that or not because I don't use it that often, if at all.

I'm also getting a hiss from my speakers, which wasn't there before I actually tried playing back a test recording that didn't actually record anything due to the built-in mic not working. I've rebooted and it's still there unless I turn the volume way, way down.

Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: In Sound>Playback>Speakers>Speaker Properties>Levels Tab ............. when I mute the Microphone from here, the hissing from my speakers stops.

ETA2: It's a built in mic

Instead of muting the mic, does the static go away when you turn the mic volume down? Just in case it's a Mic issue, do you have a cheap external mic that you can try? What program were you trying to use to test record? Some programs have a "press to talk" hotkey.

beccamac0430

I think it's a physical issue. Wiggling my laptop monitor back and forth, gave some pops and static, and for a minute the mic was picking me up. Wiring, I think? Still under warranty, so I guess I'll check it into the shop.

Thanks, I'll be back to post if it doesn't get solved that way.

A bad wire is a very real possibility. If your mic is in the screen, then the wire has to connect through the hinge. It might have gotten frayed or cut. If it's under warranty, get it looked at. Otherwise you can try a cheap external mic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online