1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MicroSD Memory Card stuck in the Express Card slot on my Satellite A215-S7416 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AshleyBeaver, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AshleyBeaver

AshleyBeaver Thread Starter

Okay, I did something really stupid. It was late, I was in the dark, and I wasn't paying attention (obviously) so here's what happened...

I had a SanDisk 2GB Micro SD Memory Card that I was using in my cell phone.
    I wanted to transfer some pics & photos from my computer to the phone, so I decided to stick it in the Express Card slot of my laptop. Simple enough, right?

....Well being the incredibly smart person that I am, I put the micro memory card in the adapter, but it was the wrong one. So my computer pretty much swallowed it whole. I can't get it back out.
    Now I can't use the Express Card slot in my computer AT ALL, because the old one is still stuck in there. You can't really see it, but if you try to put another adapter in there, it won't "click". It won't go all the way because ... the old one I lost is still in there waiting to be rescued, haha.

So my question is: How do I get the memory card out of my computer??

I tried taking it apart, but I couldn't get the part of where the express card slot is, so that was no good. There's a way to do this, I know. I'm just not smart enough to figure it out on my own. Which is probably a good thing, because I might mess it up again, lol.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7416 laptop.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

-Ashley

2. Sponsor

3. AshleyBeaver

So ... .anyone gonna help???

4. AshleyBeaver

Did I post this in the wrong place or is this just not a very active community???

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Tis wonderfully active, thank you :)
    I had a similar problem- actually pretty much identical, to be honest. To get the card out, i turned off the machine, shone a light in, and identified where the card was. Then get 2 thin strips of metal, or plastic- I used plastic knives, the picnic kind, although you might need to cut them down a tab, where the back is thickened for strength. Get one under the card and wiggle slightly, the other over the tp, push them togehter and pull gently. worked for me!
    If it doesnt work you may need something a bit stronger, like metal knives, but be careful of contacts.
    If yo udo decide to try it, please dont hold me or TSG responsible if it goes wrong. I managed it, but its definitely NOT on the approved list of "how to.." fixes! :)

6. AshleyBeaver

Finally someone responds! Thank you! :)
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who's done this before; I was feeling incredibly stupid! haha.

Plastic knives is a good idea! My friends were going to attempt to use tweezers to get it out but that doesn't seem too safe to me....what with all the metal touching. Plastic seems a whole lot safer, I might try that when I get home.

7. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Tweezers being metal isnt really a major problem, the big one is getting them in the slot and round the card. the room available is pretty much none, and where tweezers bend round a bit, they just wont fit. I did try them, thats how I found out <g>

8. AshleyBeaver

Oh but it won't hurt anything if I try it?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795517