1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsfot word will not open my document!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Minnesotamom, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Minnesotamom

Minnesotamom Thread Starter

Hello all!
    I am hoping that you can help me with this. I am taking online classes at a local college and our assignments have to be done in Microsoft Word Document. I have the Word program...... it is Office Student and Teacher 2003. My problem is when I send my assignments in to my teacher, he can't open the file, when he sent me something via Microsoft Word, it won't open up. I have gotten two different kinds of error messages, one said that the file was damaged or corrupt. (the message that my teacher had recieved after getting my assignment) and the other error is "Word experienced an error while trying to open the file. How can I make it so that I am able to open my Word Documents, and also send them......if you need any more information, let me know and I will see what I can do... this is very frusturating, and considering I don't know anything about computers....augh! Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Jamie

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Welcome!

It sounds like a straightforward issue of the files being corrupted when they are being sent.

Please advise how you are "sending" the files to each other?

What file format is being used (.doc, .rtf etc) (in the Save as - File of Type)

3. Minnesotamom

The format that is being used is .doc
    And to send in my assignments he has a "drop box" on the course web page and we are supposed to upload the assignments in there and he downloads them to read them. But last night I had to send him an e mail and send the assignment as an attachment

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

While attachment corruption is uncommon, it can happen.
    Where it does, and the document is OK at your end still (in that you can still open and save it) then re-sending it would be useful.

5. Minnesotamom

I understand that, but I can't open it at my end either! I had to re-do the entire project and send it in a regular email as an attachment-not the way the instructor wants it done! This is what the error message says each time:
    Word experienced an error while trying to open the file. Try these suggestions.
    *Check the file permissions for the document or drive
    *Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
    *Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
    I know there is enough memory/disk space. I tried to open it with the text recovery converter, and got some words but more 'gibberish'! I'm at a loss!

6. clhcpa

clhcpa Banned

Try renaming the file and then reopening. Sometimes the file gets locked and you wouldn't be able to reopen without renaming. You can rename by going to the file in My Computer, right click on the original file, then click rename and type in your new name. I usually just add a 1 to the original name. After you have opened the new file, make sure you delete the old one. Hope this helps. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice