1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsite Help

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by fragilered, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fragilered

fragilered Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, I'm completely new to this site and to blogging. I wrote a blog for my new employers and they use a microsite. I didn't format the blog correctly before I published it and it doesn't look good. I went back into our microsite folders and removed the content. It is now gone from the microsite folders but still on the website! I'm thinking of removing the entire blog folder which would remove all of our past blogs but I can't think of what else to do. Any ideas?

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi fragilered and welcome to TSG!
    Most blog applications, whether on a website or a microsite (which is just a website within a website, yes?), put posts in a database as raw text. So if you want to change the layout of your blog pages, you can normally do so without affecting the database. So if you amend the blog script to look good, you can use the original data which will be displayed in the good looking format. However if looking good entails new database fields, you would have to live with them not appearing on old posts, but you can amend the database with new fields, without adversely affecting the existing data.
    If it's feasible, you could always update the existing posts with new data manually, using your db maintenance software (normally phpMyAdmin).

3. fragilered

fragilered Thread Starter

That's just the problem though. There is no raw text that I can find. Its absolutely gone no matter where I try to look for it.

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    These statements seem to contradict one another?
    You say the data still appears on your website - so I'm guessing that you have a database (separate from the website on a third party socket) which must have been linked to in your microsite.
    So, forgive me, but what is the actual problem?

5. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    I think if you go to the cPanel via your site's hosting company and click on phpMyAdmin within the databases section you should be able to find the database belonging to your blog.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice