1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Microsoft 2 step verification

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CeeBee52, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CeeBee52

CeeBee52 Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to turn this annoying feature off? Constantly having to receive a code just to check mail is pathetic. I have tried the following instructions posted by them:
    To turn two-step verification on or off:
    1. Go to the Security basics page and sign in with your Microsoft account.
    2. Select More security options.
    3. Under Two-step verification, select Set up two-step verification and follow the instructions.
    only to find that there is NO security basics page in my version of Outlook (2016) NO reference to navigate to it it in the Help option (?) and NO option in the Security Options to find MORE Security options. It doesn't exist. How do I locate it and get rid of this horrible thing?
    Many, many thanks if you help.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I believe the help you found was talking about Outlook.com and how to remove 2nd factor authentication there.

3. CeeBee52

CeeBee52 Thread Starter

Thanks. I still don't know how to remove it from Outlook mail. :(

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If Outlook 2016 was using an Outlook.com account, then you would remove 2nd factor authentication in Outlook.com

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    CeeBee, as much as 2 Factor Authentication is annoying for a small task (trust me, I work in IT for a university, I have to use it constantly all day), it is the most secure way to make sure your email account is not compromised.

Having said that, Lunar is correct, you would need to go to Outlook.com to access the security page. I am not sure why you need to do authentication in Outlook 2016 though, it shouldn't be asking every time. Do you mean it's asking for your password every time?

*note* We want to make sure that you are talking about the Outlook 2016 e-mail program that comes with Microsoft Office and not Outlook that you access from a website.

Johnny b likes this.
  6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What email address domain are you trying to do this to?

7. CeeBee52

CeeBee52 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am talking about web site access to email. It's my choice. My Outlook account doesn't have anything in it nobody should read. If it did I'd move it to a private provider.
    CeeBee

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's not the emails that is the issue, its that if someone has your email and password and you don't have security on it, your email account can be taken away (changing the password) and be used to spam out emails, especially if you keep personal contacts. That is our concern for anyone.

But to go to the original issue, were you to disable the authentication as directed online?
    Also what are you seeing that is prompting for 2FA in your Outlook 2016? Or what prompted the question originally?

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

I hope you don't sign in to Windows 10 / 8 with that Outlook account. And also you don't use that email for web site registrations. Because if you use it to sign into Win 10 / 8 attackers can crack that password online first without ever touching your PC; then sign in to your PC after they got the correct password. As for web site registrations, if they can look through your email, then they would know which sites you registered to; go to the site and choose "forgot my password" and they would use the password reset email to reset your web password. Then they would gain access to All of the web sites you registered with.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  10. CeeBee52

CeeBee52 Thread Starter

No I have not been able to do this. The site does not direct me to any options to do so. Odd. I am actually asking for my sister who added 2FA to her outlook account and now cannot get rid of it. It is very annoying. Thank you.

11. CeeBee52

CeeBee52 Thread Starter

When I log into outlook it just takes me directly to the email site which has no options to remove 2FA.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The link you provided in the first post is where you need to go. Then click on More Security Options:

upload_2019-8-8_17-10-31.png

Then you should see Turn Off two-step verification:

upload_2019-8-8_17-11-24.png

13. CeeBee52

CeeBee52 Thread Starter

Thank you! For some reason my email did not provide a security basics page, which I have bookmarked. It's gone at last ☺

Couriant likes this.
  14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No problem. (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice