Microsoft Access 2003 Developer Extensions - Where to find them?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smooth

Garrett
Hello again,

I found out that these extensions are supposed to make it where I can export my access databases as .exe files. This would be great, since then I could just have a .exe for ones in the office to run, so that no one could edit forms, tables, etc.

Now, I googled it, and got this site. I can't seem to find where to actually download it however.

Is this a good fix for what I am wanting to do? This way, everyone in the office wouldn't have to have access, they could just run the .exe, and that would allow them to use the forms just as they would if they had the database itself.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

That link mensions a "royalty-free Access Runtime," which is closer to what you're looking for. Otherwise, to answer your question, you have to buy the product.

Access Runtime is a lightweight version of Access designed to execute .mde files. I don't know if there is a licensing fee associated with it, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to find out. And Access has a native feature for converting a database (.mdb) file to a compiled executable (.mde) file, which will hide all the code and any tables you want hidden.

I guess my point is, there's not much reason to buy another product when what you have now will do what you want without any trouble.

HTH

chris.

[bump]

Originally posted by Microsoft.com:

The Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions (ADE) are a series of wizards that run inside Access 2003 to help developers quickly and easily create, test, and deploy sophisticated Access Solutions. The ADE tools are available when you purchase Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System Version 2003. You must have Access 2003 installed on your computer in order to use the ADE tools, but there is no requirement for you to purchase and install Visual Studio .NET. The Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System Version 2003 and Visual Studio .NET are separate packages that, when combined, allow developers to create Microsoft Office solutions in managed code.

emphasis added
chris.

smooth

Garrett
Thanks Chris.

Now, to run this .mde file, do I have to have a version of access on the machine? The reason I ask, is I may have to install OpenOffice on some of the computers here, and I need it where the person can run the executable, without actually having access on their computer.

Like I said, Access Runtime is a distributable version of Access that you can bundle with your .mde file (kind of like PowerPoint viewer, though I don't know if it's free). If you're not allowed to have Access at all, I guess you'll have to ask your IT guys if you can requisition Visual Studio Tools.

Bye the bye, I didn't completely read the link, but I would be surprised if this .exe converter allowed a user to run the application without Access at all; it's probably just a packager that does for you what I suggested doing manually--that is, it probably just makes your database an .mde and bundles it with Access Runtime in an .exe installer.

So. If you have to do without Access entirely. Entirely. You can use another language to create your front end and transfer your back end to a different database engine, like Oracle or SQL server. That's going to mean a rewrite of the whole thing from scratch, most likely. Also proficiency in a language like VB or C++ or some other OOL.

Also, OpenOffice and Access aren't mutually exclusive; you could have both on the same machine. I don't think it'd be a big deal to distribute Access Runtime, but then again, I'm not a network admin or an IT manager.

HTH

chris.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online