1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Access 2016 multiple options in 1 cell

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by G-Stress, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

I'm trying to database my network using the built in Asset tracking template with access 2016. I'm new to playing with Access, but I'm catching on quickly. The issue I'm having is I have several fields I've added in addition to the default fields. I've created one called "MAC Address". I've played with the options in the Design View also, but what I'm wanting is to display the mac address in use in the cell, but also have a drop down in the cell containing other mac's of each host. For example:

MAC Address
    -----------------
    Wifi: 00:11:22:33:44:55 [Cell default view]
    Bluetooth: 00:11:22:33:44:54 <-- viewable via drop down list/combo box within cell
    Ethernet: 00:11:22:33:44:53 <-- viewable via drop down list/combo box within cell

I'm wanting the primary mac displayed to be the active mac, but other's listed in a drop down if that makes sense. I've watched a few video's, but nothing has shown that yet and being new I'm not sure exactly what to search for.

Thanks in advance.

2. OBP

OBP

A Combo list box box will display whatever value has been selected, but by clicking on it's list arrow will display the other options at any time.

3. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

Then I must be doing something wrong. I've played with the properties in the design view and compared them to other default properties on the template and I thought I almost had it like I wanted, but then it started showing up in cells below the one I was working on. This is as close as I've gotten, but I prefer the results to show vertically and I don't really need the check box. I just want the 1 mac address to show, but if I click the cell, or drop down then it list the other mac's associated with the particular device.

Attached Files:

• mac.png
      mac.png
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  4. OBP

OBP

It appears that you are working in the Table view, work and display is normally carried out on a Form which does have more controls than in the table.
    Have a look at this simple database and click on the Combo down arrow to see the other options.

Attached Files:

5. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

hmmm, I see now. When I look at mine in the Form view it doesn't even show the extra fields I've added. When I look at the Asset Details Form view, it shows mostly contact information and the only field it lists that I've added is "Model" I've added fields for Model, Size, MAC Address, Serial, etc.

Well I guess I'm a little confused. This is what I have in the image below and when I click on the Asset Details it opens more or less like an address book/contact list window. Nothing I choose shows the additional fields I've added. I'm doing a Lynda series course to learn also, but I didn't realize how complex Access was.

Attached Files:

6. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

I did just find something interesting while watching the Lynda vids and I just happen to try something and it makes what I'm wanting to do even better. Just learned about the "Input Mask" property and I just thought if I choose the (store as long time option) and set a Input Mask of 00:00:00:00:00:00 would it work and it appears it does. Now I just need to get it in a combo/list box and not take up 3+ cells vertically and I'll be good I think.

Long time didn't work, but I figured out how to manually add my own input mask. I think the last thing of concern is upon adding the mac addresses I need each horizontal record to be independent if that's possible. The closest I found playing with the list and combo box options was as if I had to add every single mac address to the list which I don't want to do if I can avoid it if that makes sense.

Thanks for the tips and quick responses. I'm gonna get back to learning tomorrow and hopefully I'll figure it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  7. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello G-Stress,

Personally, on the input Form I would reduce the number of items to choose from by creating cascading combo boxes. This will allow you to first select the interface type (Wifi, Bluetooth, NIC, etc...) then choose the MAC's associated with interface type. You can play with the display formatting on your reports. :)

I hope this helps!

8. OBP

OBP

G stress, Access Combo boxes only show one column once a selection has been made.
    To display more than one field's data you Concatenate the fields in to one on the Query that supplies the Combo and then only show that field.
    See attached modified database.

Attached Files:

Chawbacon likes this.
  9. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, advice and tips. However, @OBP I'm a little confused when looking at the .zip files. When I open them, they show in Form view with 3 rows of data. When I click on the Table view it shows the same data, but taking up 2 rows of cells. I modified that zip file a little bit and took a screen shot that might make it more understandable on what I'm trying to do. I'm mostly focused on seeing the results I want in the Tables in I think "datasheet" view? Also I just got to a part in the training video's that talked about "Validation Rule". I'm curious if for the MAC Address field if I should create or if it's even feasible to create a rule that will only allow hexadecimal characters in that column of cells so only valid mac's can be entered.

So in the pic I created a new field called MAC Address and edited the properties of the field in the Look Up section to be list box so it shows a drop down, but I want to type in the mac addresses and when I click on the drop down it list any mac associated with that client without using any cells below it if that makes sense if this is possible.

Or another thought is, being that the videos I'm learning from discuss credit cards unique to customer ID's, should I create a new table or form and just enter in all mac addreses on my network and then associate them somehow with a unique ID somehow? I'm still super new, but am loving learning every bit of it!

Thanks so much for all the advice and tips so far!

Attached Files:

10. OBP

OBP

You appear to want to use a Combo to do the job of a Subform, have you reached "subforms" in your training?
    What you describe "should I create a new table or form and just enter in all mac addreses on my network and then associate them somehow with a unique ID somehow" is how a subtable and Subform work and is what Referential Databases are all about.
    The subtable which would hold your MAC addresses would have a sub Key field (type integer long) which holds the key field value for the item in the main table that you want associate them to.
    When an item from the main table is displayed in the main form, the subform displays the MAC addresses associated with it.
    The database that I supplied would have the MAC addresses in seperate columns in the Combo Table and are displayed in the Combo itself, this of course limits the display to how many Columns you originally set up.
    So the correct way (flexible input) to display the data is a subform, which can hold as many records as MAC addresses are entered.

ps are you an Excel user by any chance?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice