1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Access Database Driving

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by gbrandwood, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gbrandwood

gbrandwood Thread Starter

Dear all

I have setup a number of databases in Microsoft Access 97 and have them setup as various DSNs on an NT 4 server with IIS 4. (SP6)

Web pages connecting to them all work great.

However, I now use Access XP and would rather not have to keep converting databases to and from Access 97 format.

So, what I'm asking is how can I get the Access XP/2002 database driver onto the server?

I have visted www.microsoft.com/data and downloaded (and installed) MDAC 2.7 RTM but this hasn't added the later driver to the ODBC settings within control panel. I've also tried downloading and installing Jet 4 but without any success.

Would installing OXP on the server help? I'd have to remove it afterwards because I only have the one licence.

Please help me out if you can - it would save me tonnes of time.

Many thanks

Gareth

2. Sponsor

3. Rockn

Rockn

Why does it matter which version you use if the web pages access them correctly? Set the database to whatever version you use and always use that if you need to do any backend work.

4. gbrandwood

It is important for me because I also want certain people to work on a replica of the MDB file offline after replicating with the one on the webserver.

The offline version needs reports and forms etc. that are only available in the version of Access I have developed the database in (2002). Converting to 97 screws them up.

Plus, even if I didn't want people to replicate with the MDB, it's still a pain for me having to develop in Access 2002 and convert to and from Access 97.

Actually, I think I solved my problem (and caused a new one) by closing IIS down while the update proceeded. I restarted and the version of the driver has been updated. Great - BUT, now, all my old web pages that used to work fine are now broke.

After some research, it seems like this has happened to lots of people after upgrading MDAC. I'll either have to restore from a backup and forget working with the latest MDAC version or recode all of my pages to make them work.

If it ain't broke, fix it (or in my case, upgrade it) until it is!

Thanks

Gareth

5. Rockn

Rockn

If your pages won't work with this version of MDAC it might be for use with the newer version of ASP....if that's what your pages are programmed in. If you go to Win2k and IIS5 it will probably work fine. Solve the problem and get the other people to work in Access 2000...what's an upgrade cost now...nothing! I have done the MDAC upgrade thing once and it was not a good thing.....was a good thing I only did it on a test server. Sounds like you are getting to the point of migrating to something like SQL server.

6. gbrandwood

Thanks, Rockn

The problem I was having was because the databases folder was password protected. I kept it within the wwwroot for ease of backups. The password was to stop users accessing the folder to download the DB. This worked fine with the older version of MDAC.

The newer version is probably quite rightly more sensitive to security settings. Removing the password protection solved the problem (wonderful - lesson learned!!).

So, I'll move the folder outside of wwwroot and just remember to back them both up.

As for going to SQL server, I'd love to do that but wouldn't have a clue where to start. I've got Office XP DE so I can play with the SQL tools in there, I guess.

The original problem I had was not that people had different versions of the database, we all use Access XP. However, the driver on the server could only read Access 97 databases, hence all the converting back and to.

All is well - for now....

Best regards

Gareth

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68684