1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

microsoft access database from scratch

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Beard, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beard

Beard Thread Starter

Hi to all.
    Little background first, I operate and look after a 3D cad package for a company in Philippines there are many changes being done monthly, weekly and daily to the data we use for production. Price changes to materials, changes to construction methods of the cabinets we build, changes to the hardware used in the construction etc.

To date I have been using a spreadsheet with column headings:
    Item code:----Date reported:------reported by:---------- Nature of report:-------------- dated completed:---------------completed by -----completed by comments.

Now as this list grows its getting more and more difficult to track what changes were done and when as some items have had major changes 3 or 4 times.

I used to use a purpose built DB for our customers when I was in sales back in Australia but no longer have a copy of this on my PC.

So what I figured was to make one myself :)

The brief is this:

Fire up the program and a dialog input box appears with the above headings and input box's next to the headings.

The user clicks NEW (i guess) and inputs the info, date can be automaticly generated.
    The program I use is based to a large degree on ACCESS DB's and has info available from those tables if thats possible for the ITEM CODE input but also need to be manually input also as the cabinet assemblies themselves are not stored in a DB, materials, door styles, construction methods and the like are however.

Once the info is saved its stored for later recall.

as an example the item code 012-xxx-c-0582 relates to a cabinet

say they want the construction changed from dowel joints to a cam fitting, this would be entered into the NATURE OF REPORT field.

In 3 weeks time the boss goes down and sees the change of construction and asks the question WHO, WHAT, WHY AND WHEN?

I need to be able to go to the report screen enter the item code and print out or view everything and all the changes that have been done on that item.

shows the date reported, what was the nature of the report and the date completed, reported by who and completed by who and completed by comments.

There you go
    Am I aiming too high for my first attempt at an access DB?
    is there something thats a template that I can just modify to suit my needs.

Regards

Steve

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Beard, welcome to the Forum.
    This sounds like a nice little beginner database which could probably be expanded in the future.
    If you already have an Excel workbook with this data I would start by Importing it.
    I would then create a "cabinet" table with an Autonumber ID field and the Item Code as an Indexed field with "No Duplicates" set.
    Then create an Append query that appends all the Item Codes from the imported table.
    That will give you the start of a table of Item codes than can be selected using a Combo rather than having the user type in the data.
    You then replace the Item codes in the Imported table with the ID number from the new Item Codes table.

3. Rockn

Rockn

This sounds like a lot more than a beginner database to me. This sounds more like a project management application and there are ones out there that would give you what you want out of the box.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048671