1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Access - Why does the IT industry hate it?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by thestig07, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thestig07

thestig07 Thread Starter

This has been something I've wondered for many years and today I thought I would try and find out. Unfortunately my Google searching skills haven't been of any use to me on this subject.

Basically I've been working in the IT industry around 8 years now. I started as a trainee, moved onto Helpdesk, Service Desk, 2nd Line and now I'm like and advanced 2nd Line/Novice 3rd Line. Throughout my career I've always been told by my supervisor/manager/boss that we don't install Access, the users don't get Access, we don't support Access, etc. and I've always just gone with the flow. I got sucked into it myself and often find myself feeding our customers and users garbage about why MS Access is rubbish when in actual fact I have no idea why it isn't liked.

It's not just my current company it's been most companies I've worked for. Just this morning someone asked for MS Access to be installed and my boss has told me not to install it. When I ask why I just get the "company policy" rubbish! Does anyone know what MS Access is so hated? The only reason I can think of in my head is that it's complicated to support? I've never actually had the chance to support it and although it's installed on my laptop at work and at home I've never used it. I'm just curious!

2. valis

valis Moderator

heyya thestig07 (love that show, btw), I've edited your post for profanity....please remember this is a family oriented forum..

thanks,

v

3. valis

valis Moderator

IMO, it's because it is SO much harder to use than Excel.....Access is a true number cruncher, and Excel makes things look pretty......at least, that's why I think people are very leery of Access.....but that's just me.

curious to see what others say, as I've wondered this myself for quite some time.

4. thestig07

thestig07 Thread Starter

Me too, I watch it every week! Sorry man, I was in the zone. I felt like I was writing a blog!

Your point is probably true but it doesn't make sense why most IT departments avoid even installing it. At my current company people have to be top level managers before we even consider installing it for them! I'm wondering if it is down to the fact that it is easier to mess up an Access database than it is Excel. As always if someone messes up IT will be expected to sort it out.

5. valis

valis Moderator

dude, that's a great point.....and I'd not thought of it.

Access IS banned for everyone in my company save developers and serious number crunchers......dang it, now you got me thinking.....

off topic, but here is the stig in teh new BAC mono........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzoWc--1pM

let me ask around about Access, see what answers I can find......

6. valis

valis Moderator

here's what I found, and it's enterprise related......which, in hindsight, makes perfect sense.

http://programmers.stackexchange.co...-for-accesssql-server-for-enterprise-projects

7. OBP

OBP

I think you hit the nail on the head about IT having to sort out Access database problems, plus it gives them more work distributing front ends, maintaining back ends and assisting users etc. Access being somewhat harder to program than Excel (except for advanced Excel programming with VBA etc) means that would be programmers and trainee programmers ask questions and for help from the IT department, who themselves know very little about the program.
    That means to sort out major problems with ad hoc databases (if really necessary) they quite often have to pay real money to employ an outside consultant to fix it.
    But as a very long term programmer (1980s) I believe it all stems from the advent of the PC taking away the absolute POWER of the IT departments who totally controlled all mainframe operations, even Plant Managers had to kow tow to the IT Manager to get in the queue for work to be done.
    Because Excel is so easy and quick to program simple solutions they can't really control it's use because everybody except the computer illiterate want use it.
    Whereas Access steps all over the Main Frame database operations using SQL etc it is far easier to prevent it's use and maintain control over databases.
    If you look at my public profile you will see where I am coming from.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice