Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 2: Windows Defender (Beta 2) Released

7K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  NYCGurl 
#1 ·
Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta):
Windows Defender (Beta 2) is the final name for Microsoft’s antispyware solution. Current Windows AntiSpyware (Beta 1) customers will be notified automatically to upgrade.

Windows® Defender (Beta 2)
Version: 1051 - February 13, 2005

Windows Defender (Beta 2) is a free program that helps you stay productive by protecting your computer against pop-ups, slow performance and security threats caused by spyware and other potentially unwanted software.

Overview
This release includes enhanced features that reflect ongoing input from customers, as well as Microsoft’s growing understanding of the spyware landscape.

Specific features of Windows Defender Beta 2 include:

* A redesigned and simplified user interface – Incorporating feedback from our customers, the Windows Defender UI has been redesigned to make common tasks easier to accomplish with a warning system that adapts alert levels according to the severity of a threat so that it is less intrusive overall, but still ensures the user does not miss the most urgent alerts.
* Improved detection and removal – Based on a new engine, Windows Defender is able to detect and remove more threats posed by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Real Time Protection has also been enhanced to better monitor key points in the operating system for changes.
* Protection for all users – Windows Defender can be run by all users on a computer with or without administrative privileges. This ensures that all users on a computer are protected by Windows Defender.
* Support for 64-bit platforms, accessibility and localization - Windows Defender Beta 2 also adds support for accessibility and 64-bit platforms. Microsoft also plans to release German and Japanese localized versions of Windows Defender Beta 2 soon after the availability of the English versions. Use WindowsDefenderX64.msi for 64-bit platforms.

Important Notes

* Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta):
Windows Defender (Beta 2) is the final name for Microsoft’s antispyware solution. Current Windows AntiSpyware (Beta 1) customers will be notified automatically to upgrade.
* Globalization:
The current beta is in the English language although we will deliver German and Japanese localized versions. All versions can be installed on any locale but the user interface will only be delivered in these three languages for testing purposes.
* Beta Support Policy:
This is pre-release (beta) software distributed for feedback and testing purposes. Microsoft only provides best effort support through the newsgroups. If Windows Defender (Beta 2) is causing an issue with your system, we recommend removing it by using Add or Remove Programs and even using System Restore if the problem persists.
* Access to Newsgroups:
Although formal support is not offered for this beta, we have provided newsgroups to help get your questions answered.

For Users of Giant AntiSpyware
Current Giant AntiSpyware users with active subscriptions are advised to continue to use their existing software.

For Additional Information:
Please see the «Release Notes» to learn more about known issues with Windows Defender (Beta 2). http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/releasenotes.mspx

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Version:1051
Date Published:2/13/2006
Language:English
Download Size:6.4 MB - 14.3 MB*

Beta Software - Use at Own Risk!

More Info & Download: Windows® Defender (Beta 2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&DisplayLang=en

-- Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks, Tom for the info. I think I will wait for a while before I jump into Defender - seems people in the MSAS Support Newsgroups have been having some problems trying to install it. Per the information, I have read, MS indicates current users of MSAS AntiSpyware will be notified when the download is available - think I will wait for that, in hopes they get some of the "bugs" worked out. I am just not up to the hassle of trying to make it work. Guess I am lazy - lol! Anyone who tries the new Defender Beta, please post and let us know how it is working out. Thanks.

#5 ·
t bone said:
i installed it too with no problems so far...though for now i've turned off the auto update and realtime protection.
full system scan took just under an hour.
Mine downloaded without a hitch also. Now a Question. As you see by the arrows
http://www.pixpond.com/1/2iv7al.jpg I'm showing S3 graphics. I thought these we're connected to the Prosavage graphics that I disabled when I put in my FX5500 Vid card and SB X-Fi in that had there own drivers and software..Ok to disable these two items :confused:

#6 ·
kidcnote said:
Mine downloaded without a hitch also. Now a Question. As you see by the arrows
http://www.pixpond.com/1/2iv7al.jpg I'm showing S3 graphics. I thought these we're connected to the Prosavage graphics that I disabled when I put in my FX5500 Vid card and SB X-Fi in that had there own drivers and software..Ok to disable these two items :confused:
Hi kidcnote,

Looks like they are startup programs, and if you don't need them anymore there should be no reason why you should not delete them given that you have replace the hardware.

However, just to be on the safe side in case you really do need them again - i.e. need to use the hardware in another machine, you can just delete them from your startup list by running msconfig and unchecking them, then archive their folders for future use.

-- Tom

#7 ·
Well hopefully this new version doesn't block our Tax Software from installing. We had issues with the previous version blocking the install of our W-2 Tax software. That was probably our number one customer support call this current tax season. MS Anti-Spyware won't let our software install.

#8 ·
lotuseclat79 said:
Hi kidcnote,
Looks like they are startup programs, and if you don't need them anymore there should be no reason why you should not delete them given that you have replace the hardware.

However, just to be on the safe side in case you really do need them again - i.e. need to use the hardware in another machine, you can just delete them from your startup list by running msconfig and unchecking them, then archive their folders for future use.

-- Tom
Thanks Lotus..I guess I didn't want to delete them but just stop them from running in start up.. I got enough crap already running in start up :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I too have installed this without any problems,as stated earlier it does remove the Microsoftantispyware icon from the system tray and puts in its own,I see no feature for updates,supposedly it updates itself before scanning,I found it to be just as quick as its predecessor...happy with it so far :up:

Quickscan .....2min 45 seconds

Full scan ....25 min 50 seconds

#11 ·
Its strange about that icon,it was there when I booted and I started a scan from it, now after running the scan,its not back there any more for some reason.......I will report back later when I find out where its gone ....

#13 ·
OK Augie65, thanks for the info :up: that seems to be the reason....even after shutting down and rebooting its still not in the tray anymore ....

#14 ·
telecom69 said:
I see no feature for updates,supposedly it updates itself before scanning
If you want to manually update, just to the right of the question mark on the Defender Home Screen, is a "down" arrow for a drop-down menu - click on it - then select "About Windows Defender" - you will see check updates near the bottom right of the next screen - click on it and Defender icon should appear in taskbar with balloon (if you have them turned on) indicating it is checking for updates - then changing to either no updates available, or updates downloaded. It works like a charm - and reassures me Defender is working properly, since I don't see anything from it normally. It does update itself automatically before scanning, per the information from Microsoft -as you said.

#16 ·
JohnWill said:
I installed it, so far it's been OK. :)
This newest one says it failed..MS has been screwing up ther downloads lately :mad: http://tinyurl.com/dtey6
http://www.pixpond.com/1/qw7t9n.jpg

BETA Windows Defender (KB892519) (Public Event)
16 February 2006
Calendar Posts: Definition Update 1.13.1276.3 for BETA Windows Defender (KB892519) 1.70MB
Get it through Windows updates!

#17 ·
Ok, One thing I don't understand. I have Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 version 1.0.701
I did the auto-update and it says it is up to date. So what is "defender"? Is that a new version of this? Why doesn't the program prompt me to install the new one?

What is the difference between the two? I wonder if it is worth changing? And do I need to un-install this Beta 1 before installing the new one?

#19 ·
There is no need to uninstall microsoft antispyware as installing this latest version of it,takes care of it ,well it did for me anyway,and the antispyware icon dissapears from the system tray,as stated above it does not get replaced with one from defender....

As stated in the first post customers will automatically get notified about this upgrade eventually,but you can if you like upgrade to it now......see post 1 for full information ...

And yes it does update automatically,I just got one by notification in the system tray .....

#21 ·
My expiry date was the same as yours,but I was curious as to what the latest version had to offer so I installed it ...below is an excerpt from post 1 in this thread that details the differences ....I thought antispyware was a very good program and I have no reason to believe this upgrade wont be the same ....

* A redesigned and simplified user interface – Incorporating feedback from our customers, the Windows Defender UI has been redesigned to make common tasks easier to accomplish with a warning system that adapts alert levels according to the severity of a threat so that it is less intrusive overall, but still ensures the user does not miss the most urgent alerts.
* Improved detection and removal – Based on a new engine, Windows Defender is able to detect and remove more threats posed by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Real Time Protection has also been enhanced to better monitor key points in the operating system for changes.
* Protection for all users – Windows Defender can be run by all users on a computer with or without administrative privileges. This ensures that all users on a computer are protected by Windows Defender.
* Support for 64-bit platforms, accessibility and localization - Windows Defender Beta 2 also adds support for accessibility and 64-bit platforms. Microsoft also plans to release German and Japanese localized versions of Windows Defender Beta 2 soon after the availability of the English versions. Use WindowsDefenderX64.msi for 64-bit platforms.

#23 ·
All I can offer is this excerpt from post number 1 on that issue ....

For Additional Information:
Please see the «Release Notes» to learn more about known issues with Windows Defender (Beta 2). http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...easenotes.mspx

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Version:1051
Date Published:2/13/2006
Language:English
Download Size:6.4 MB - 14.3 MB*

Beta Software - Use at Own Risk!

More Info & Download: Windows® Defender (Beta 2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

#25 ·
spruce said:
I just checked beta 1, and i got an update. What's that mean?
Hi spruce,

MSAS Beta 1 should work up to, but not beyond July 31, 2006. By then, Windows Defender should be out of Beta 2, and be a full product - free as well!

-- Tom

#26 ·
kidcnote said:
This newest one says it failed..MS has been screwing up ther downloads lately :mad: http://tinyurl.com/dtey6
http://www.pixpond.com/1/qw7t9n.jpg

BETA Windows Defender (KB892519) (Public Event)
16 February 2006
Calendar Posts: Definition Update 1.13.1276.3 for BETA Windows Defender (KB892519) 1.70MB
Get it through Windows updates!
I just checked my copy, and that update has been automatically installed. I guess it's not every configuration that has an update issue.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.