1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Baseline Security Pile O' Crap

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by melchizedek, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melchizedek

melchizedek Thread Starter

Have just reinstalled my comp and did the usual Windows update business to install missing hotfixes, drivers....etc.

For some reason I decided to give Microsoftt Baseline Security Analyser a go...and wish I hadn't bothered. It discovered 6 missing hotfixes and some other misc stuff. Problem is, everything it found was actually there. I looked at Windows Update Installation history and they were there. Just to be sure though, I uninstalled them, and downloaded the individual files (they were def the correct ones) and reinstalled them. Windows update recognises that they are there...but MBSA stil insists they are missing or out of date.

Anyone come across this at all ? I'm happy that the hotfixes are installed, but am just wondering what MBSA is playing at.

kind regards...mel

2. wedor

wedor

I think if you read carefully the MSBA is looking for particular versions of files, when the version is not an exact match (doesn't matter if it's newer or older) it complains about a "potential" problem.

3. melchizedek

Hi wedor,

Thanks for shedding a bit of light on it...it does seem to be rather a waste of time though.

It even commented that my service pack for XP was an out of date version. I wasn't even aware there were any other versions.

Still.....as long as I'm protected...no matter.

Kind regards...mel

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It's a great time to be in the antivirus business. In August, two separate bugs laid low millions of PCs around the world, causing an estimated $2 billion in damage. Both exploited vulnerabilities in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system. And on Sept. 10, Microsoft warned of yet another security hole in Windows that could lead to a new bout of bugs. All that has sent sales of antivirus software soaring. So which company stands to benefit the most from the surging demand for security software? That's right: Microsoft.

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=13924&category=main

It's a conspiracy, make buggy software then gain money on programs that will make it run right.

5. melchizedek

Lol...you can't beat a conspiracy theory. I particularly enjoyed all the childish debate that followed. Nothing like a half witted theory, masquerading as fact to provoke the half witted into name calling and further pointelss speculation.

Cheers...mel

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice