Microsoft Dot Net Framework

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BML

I've got .net framework installed on my XP system because some programs required it, and I've applied every MS update but the other day in looking thru my installed programs I noticed that I have .Net Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP 2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, and 4.0 Extended and 4.0 client profile. Do I really need all of these?? With each MS update it never prompts me to remove the old one.

Should I uninstall those?

I would leave them alone as they are not taking up that much space and I believe they are needed in some instances. I know I have a couple of them already for Windows7 and I 'm leaving them right where they are.

Maybe someone else will chime in with there thoughts.

Triple6

Rob
Newer versions do not always supersede everyone previous version, so you do need all of them if you want to make sure that any program that depends on a specific version has that required version.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Bruce:

Version 1.1 SP1 was released in August 2004.

Version 3.5 SP1 was released in November 2008(which includes versions 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2).

Version 4.0 was released in February 2011.

Depending how old or how new the programs are that are installed in your computer, the ones that require Microsoft .NET Framework will use a specific version.

That's why it's best NOT to uninstall any of them.

----------------------------------------------------------

BML

Ok, Thanks. It just seemed odd to me but I didn't realize some programs need certain versions. I'll leave them.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Bruce:

If and when you need to do a "clean" reinstall of XP, there will be 100+ post-SP3 high priority and optional updates to install afterwards so you can get XP up-to-date.

Versions 1.1 and 3.5 and 4.0 of .NET Framework will be among the list.

Deselect and hold off installing them until you get the other updates installed.

Once that's done, select versions 3.5 and 4.0 of .NET Framework to install.

I resurrect and upgrade XP computers on a regular basis, and this update sequence works well for me.

---------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online