Microsoft Error Code 31

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carl538

the CD drive on my DELL GX260 SUDDENLY STOPPED WORKING. I have tried everything I can think of. followed Win's troubleshooter suggestions; Microsoft's error code 31 suggested solutions; tried known working drives I borrowed from a buddy; verified that both IDE mobo connections are working; set the BIOS TO AUTO; installed, uninstalled, removed, reinstalled; checked for but found NO CONFLICTS: and, though the drive is recognized in Device Manager, it still will not work - Win2000 sez it "cannot load the drivers for this device". I've downloaded new drivers from Dell, but still no go.
Possibly related: I hooked up a regular DVD-R drive in a external enclosure thru the USB connection which worked marginally (read only) for a very short time, then wouldn't be recognized at all, just before the above problem.
Could I have blown something?
Everything else works fine.
Any ideas, anyone?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut here after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
----------------------- cut here before this line -----------------------------

carl538

Thanks for your help - trully appreciated.
I did the RegEdit file as you advised and believe I got it all correct = I got the msg asking if I wanted it to go into the Registry and chose yes - it confirmed. Still no change, however.
Getting same error msg.
I noted now that the drive does not list in Device Manager when connected to IDE 1 but does show up for IDE 2 although driver still won't load.
Could I have damaged my mobo?

Merry Christmas

Have you tried to boot from your cd-rom? might be a good test to see if it is a windows problem. If it boots up fine it is a window problem.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The registry edit doens't damage your hardware. :) I've used this procedure dozens of times, and lots of people here have used it. When you moved the CD to the other IDE channel, my guess is that you had a jumper configuration problem, not a hardware failure.

carl538

Sorry John - I didn't mean to imply that editing the registry damaged my mobo - I meant using the external exclosure (with the DVD-R drive) may have caused damage.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I don't think the external enclosure damages them either, unless you happen to plug the wrong P/S into it. :D

Are you sure the drive is jumpered correctly for the position on the cable you're installing it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online