Microsoft Excel Last Saved By

andyj941

Hi I need to write a report to show that 3 people have access to and the ability to write to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. I was hoping to get each person to edit the spreadsheet, save it then view details of who last saved it, however this is blank (says not saved). Anyone have any idea what I have to do to get Excel to display who saved it last? It does for all other spreadsheets I use. I'm using Excel 2010. Thanks in advance.

andyj941

On properties, it just says Last Modified By Not Saved Yet. It records and shows the date and time the file was modified just not who by. I need to screenshot this info as proof that these people have modified it.

Select a blank cell you need to display the last saved timestamp of the workbook, enter formula =LastSavedTimeStamp() and press the Enter key, and a number will be displayed.

Couriant

James
Select a blank cell you need to display the last saved timestamp of the workbook, enter formula =LastSavedTimeStamp() and press the Enter key, and a number will be displayed.
You are missing steps to get this command working... and even so doesn't give the information the user is asking for.

@andyj941 This information works for me:

Insert The User Name Who Modified Current Workbook Last Time With User-Defined Function
: Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.

2: In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window. See screenshot:

VBA code: Insert last modified user name in Excel

Function LastAuthor()
LastAuthor = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")
End Function

3: Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.

4. Select a cell you need to place the user name, enter formula =LastAuthor() into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. Then the last modified user name is inserted into the cell immediately. See screenshot:

Note this can only do the last user, not the last 3 users because it seems that Excel 2010 does not have Version History like the newer versions do.

As to it being blank, was the user a local user or a network user? Is the file also in a network folder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online