1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Excel programming

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jhamangoda, Jun 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhamangoda

jhamangoda Thread Starter

I want to use MS Excel for keep records of a warehouse. I have created an invoice with necessary formulas and it automatically calculates everything, writes the final total in words. Now I want to connect this invoice with a warehouse record to automatically keep records of invoices issued and to automatically reduce the quantity of goods from the warehouse. This should help me to find the availability of goods at the warehouse at any given time and also to see the sales progress.
    The problem is I don't know the formulas to be used for this type of programming.
    Please help me with some idea about the formulas to be used.
    Thank you.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't think I'm capable of all that. I do think, however, that Access would be the much better/easier application to use for your purposes. Do you have Access and, if so, why aren't you using it instead? I'm curious.

[This message has been edited by Dreamboat (edited 06-16-2000).]

3. jhamangoda

Thank you for your reply. But I am not an expert in Access even I have used Access previously. Can you please give me some advises in converting Excel files to Access OR creating Access file for this purpose.

4. Grumbler

Grumbler

Try use MS Access (2000), File - Get External Data->Import... and choose in the Box 'Files of type' Microsoft Excel.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It's the same in all versions.

If you're as good in Excel as your original post indicates, you won't have a problem using Access.

Sorry, I've been modemless all weekend!

6. jhamangoda

Thank you all for the advises. However, please explain me the way to import files to Access with the formulas of Excel. The file, I have created in Excel with connected pages and also with formulas. This file can issue invoices and i want to keep records of these invoices in Access. Without formulas of Excel, I can't use this file in Access.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Portions of your worksheets should contain data that you enter. These are the parts you will import. Importing the file into Access will not "mess up" your original Excel file; it will remain intact. While you import the worksheet into Access, "skip" the columns that have calculations. You will then create queries where you can perform the calculations. There's very little difference in calculations between Excel and Access. If you created the Excel calculations yourself, you should easily be able to create them in an Access query.

Feel free to send me your Excel file(s); I can at least take a look at them for you.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Received your files and have turned them over to someone who may be better able to help you. She should email you soon.

9. jhamangoda

Thank you. Hope to receive some advises soon.

10. Talismanic

Talismanic

Must have resources for new Access Users/Developers:

Access Survival Guide
    Online Access Book
    The Access Web
    Access Worlds UBB forum

jhamangoda, Access World is a UBB forum like Tech Support Guy and it is very informative BUT I have found that this board (TSG) is better for getting fast and complete answers. I also like that posters here often follow up on threads.

Good luck with Access, I started working with it about two months ago and have been truley amazed with the its power. Getting started is a little overwelming but stay with it you will be amazed with the results.

------------------
    Building the Ultimate site list for PC support.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/36750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice