1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Extends XP Through 2010 for Ultra-Low-Cost Laptops

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by RootbeaR, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

"Kutz stopped short of saying Microsoft is willing to extend the availability of a seven-year-old OS because it doesn't want to concede the ULCPC market to Linux, which many feel is the reason for the move. Instead, he said it's customers and partners who are driving the extension. "The feedback we've gotten from customers and partners is they want Windows on those devices," Kutz said"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080404/tc_pcworld/144135

Isn't Vista "Windows?"

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many here would probably argue that point. :D

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, but
    Peace...

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

No doubt.

"...and hinted that forthcoming ULCPCs will evolve to the point that they can run Vista...."
    That will be long after windows 7, which ms expects to be out in a year or so.

"Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates said on Friday he expected the new version of Windows operating software, code-named Windows 7, to be released "sometime in the next year or so.""
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080404/tecnology/tech_microsoft_windows_gates_col

Also, does that mean ms is going to be dropping the price of Vista? Vista sells for more than the ULCPC with an OS. Ultra Low Cost Personal Computer (ULCPC).

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I think Microsoft is keeping XP around to keep people from switching to Linux because Vista won't even run on a non-ULCPC. I have an three year-old Athlon64 X2 3800+ PC with an ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro 256MB card. Yesterday after wasting 2 hours downloading Vista Ultimate (legal with MSDN subscription), I found ATI has no drivers or application software to enable TV and video capture for my graphics card. So in order to use Vista I have to either buy a new graphics card or buy some third party application for it? And Nero 6 doesn't work with Vista either? No thanks Microsoft, I will keep running XP until my hardware dies.

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I agree. Vista will run on most non-ULCPC but not well unless fed enough RAM, at the very least.

Peace...

7. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

In regards to them already extending it:

and regarding the save XP Partition
    "He added. Instead, Gillen advised customers to lobby Microsoft through its own channels..."

..So basically, so long as we keep buying XP, it seams like we won;t need to worry!...
    Plus, it wouldn't be very fair after making us wait 7years for a new OS from MS, to expect us to all switch to horrid Vista in just over 1 year would it!?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice