1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Fax works on only some PCs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by webwired, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webwired

webwired Thread Starter

Hi, I have about 20 PCs here at work, all with Windows XP Pro SP3, and only a portion of them does it do anything at all when I go to print to the shared FAX via Microsoft FAX...

I've been trying to get it to work on mine first, then once I figure that out, I can get it working on the rest of them... So, I went to one of the computers that it does work on to find some files that my system said it was missing when I tried to open up the Microsoft FAX Console... these files were, FXSAPI.DLL, FXSTIFF.DLL, fxslnt.exe. Once I copied those to my system, the Microsoft FAX Console would open up, but still it did nothing when I would try to print to the shared FAX. I noticed in the configuration it was set to use my Sprint Aircard as a fax, so I disabled it and went through the configuration again, so that it wouldn't have a local fax to try to use, but that still didn't work...

I have been all over the internet and have spent several hours trying to make this work ... My boss is very adament that I get this working... I would appreciate any assistance in this matter that can provided...

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    See if this Microsoft article will help.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. webwired

webwired Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, but that was one of my first articles I read... FAX Services was installed, but I went ahead and uninstalled it anyway and reinstalled it and that still didn't make any difference... You would think that it would have at least fixed the Microsoft FAX Console, but no, I had to do that manually by finding those files on another computer and copying them to mine...

4. bbearren

bbearren

Is the shared FAX a Printer/Copier/FAX?

5. webwired

webwired Thread Starter

No, it is just a FAX modem in the SBS 2008 server...

6. bbearren

bbearren

Have you checked to see if this is a sharing issue?

7. bbearren

bbearren

Have you looked at this article?

8. webwired

webwired Thread Starter

Well, the only problem with it being a sharing issue is that I've logged on to this computer with a profile of one of those users where their computer works just fine with the Microsoft FAX and it doesn't work on my computer... So, I think that is pretty much ruled out...

As far as that article goes, that is for BackOffice...
    "NOTE: Netmodem use cannot be used on the SBS-based server."

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice