1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft FP & win7

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by chiavet, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chiavet

chiavet Thread Starter

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I have been using an older version of MS Frontpage for a website I have been maintaining for 15 years. The computer has WinXP. I got a new laptop and not surprising, Win7 didn't recognize the program because of how old it was (FP98 w/FP2000 upgrade). I have read on some sites that more knowledgeable web designers don't use or like FP. Some just type their own code. i used to type alot of the code but started using FP cause it was easy for me and what I wanted to accomplish but due to being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, typing alot of code is now too difficult.

Anyway, I heard Microsoft now has something called Expressions for web design. Can you edit pages designed with FP using Expressions and is it similar enough to FP that I won't be lost? I have also heard FP2003 will work with Win7. I have thought of just buying FP2003 and stick with what I know. Is there someplace that shows a demo of expressions?

Any guidance/opinions is greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Micro$oft's follow up to FrontPage is "WebMatrix". Expression is the 'Pro' upgrade to Matrix and definitely not for the feint hearted.

The transition from FP to WM is about as painless as you can get, considering that the web we have now is nothing like the web that FP was designed to support. I can't say I'd recommend WM, but as you asked about a replacement for FrontPage and mentioned another M$ product, that's what I posted. There are loads of alternatives, just Google "wysiwyg html editor", from the ludicrously expensive (Dreamweaver) to the absolutely free and open source (various contenders). The choice of editor is pure preference though so I'd suggest trying a few. Download some reputable trials and compare to the freebies, there's little to choose between them really...

Danny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058931