1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool: Install it? Good? Bad? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bloomcounty, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Thread Starter

I have a new laptop with Windows XP SP2 on it, IE6 (though I use Firefox, not IE), and MS Office 2003 Student Edition. The latest update that popped up as "high priority" from Windows Update is this GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374).

It sounds like you have to install it then run it and then visit MS Office website to check for updates...? Is this worth doing? Can it cause more problems than it will help? (I thought I've read about issues when updating MS Office with security patches...? And that you have to download yet something else to even check for Office security updates...?)

Or do Office security updates come through Windows Update, and I don't need to worry about this? (But if that's the case, then why even have this GDI+ thing available?)

I'm always worried about ending up with a bunch of conflicts with other programs like AVG, ZA, AutoGK, DVDShrink, etc.

I'm always hesitant to install something that has to run on my system.

I've got AVG and ZA, keep both up to date, and I have Automatic Updates turned on just to let me know when there's a critical update (so I don't have to visit the Windows Update site to get updates).

I was thinking I would only do the updates to Office that come through Automatic Updates and not worry about any others...

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :)

2. the_skdster

the_skdster

Did I pass?
    /jks

Please don't ban me... :(

3. bloomcounty

When I tried just posting the post straight... it wouldn't post! So I posted the test post then went in and edited the title and body... weird!

4. bloomcounty

But the first post's question still stands... thanks!

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Since you are not getting much of a response to this, I will just give you my somewhat cavalier attitude towards updates.

I don't even use Windows updates -- preferring to selectively install only those which I personally deem critical to my usage habits.

This is an issue which is highly user dependent. Myself -- I have never had to clean any security problem from one of my own computers -- due largely to knowing what not to open, what not to download -- and minimizing my use of IE.

I only have free AVG and the Windows firewall.

If you have less confidence or control over your computer then perhaps it is worthwhile to go for the extra protection -- but I doubt this tool is something you really need.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice