1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Help and Support problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by edmacc, Jun 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edmacc

edmacc Thread Starter

With my Windows ME, there is a help area located in the start area. When I try to click on the many areas of the help center like indexes, I get no response. What happened a few days ago was I was cleaning my registry, using a free software called Easy Cleaner and may have inadvertently removed some DLL's or file sttreams out of the the help center and now it doesn't work right. Do I have to reinstall ME to get the help center to work correctly or can I download the help center from Microsoft or somewhere else and then reinstall it. Now, this section is called Microsoft Help and Support. It has interactive training, etc. I would like to get it to work again. Please help!!!!!!!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

edmacc
    No you should not have to reinstall. Windows ME has what is call a restore feature which will let you restore your system back to a date prior to your registry cleaning. Unfortunatly any updates you wanted to keep will also change back to that time. Goto start/programs/system tools
    and click on system restore. Once the restore screen comes up click on restore my computer to an earlier time and click next. Now a calender will show up. Select a date prior to your BooBoo and and click next. This should get you back to normal.
    Let us know how it turned out. Dave
    Note: you will not loose you protected files such as My Documents.

3. edmacc

edmacc Thread Starter

Dave,
    I tried to go back on the System restore but it won't go back to May, April. It seems like the Restore locks in on the current month. What's up with that?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

edmacc
    So what you are saying is when you go to system restore and click restore to earlier date nothing happens or does the June calender date show up? Also if it shows up, when you select the back arrow there are no dates darker then the others? If there are when you click on them no restore point is listed?
    If so Goto start run type in msconfig hit enter goto to startup tab hit enter and see if the statemgr box is present and selected. the *statemgr.exe is the program that creates restore points for you. Also I'm not sure of this but I believe the help and support is highly integrated with the restore feature and safemode functions. When a protection fault occures and you have to restart the system start in help and support or safemode.
    Let me know what you find out to the above questions and I'll do some research on our alternatives. I don't suggest attempting to uninstall that function or play with the register until all other options are looked at.
    Please reply back on thread so all can see answers.

5. edmacc

edmacc Thread Starter

davey7549:

I checked msconfig and yes, statemgr is there and checked. As far as the system restore is concerned, I keep clicking on the backwards arrow < and the calendar will not go back to May. So, I don't know what the next step could be. Let me know what's next on this Help and Support question.

As far as the darker dates in the system restore are concerned, they are after the problem with the Help and Support started.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

edmacc
    I was concerned help would try and start. There are two ways to approach this. First is you can identify which dll's are missing they can be replaced several different ways. When you start help does it tell you which dll is missing? If it does list them here so I can tell you which folders they need to be in and how to get them for install.
    Second option is a bit tricky; You can do whats called scanreg using windows ME but you must have a win98 boot disk to do it. Read the following sites and it will explain how to do it. Scanreg does the smae thing restore does except using DOS. Win98 came standard with it and was replaced by restore in winME.

manually creating a startup disk for ME
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q271/8/23.ASP?
    Use scanreg /restore with winME
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q221/5/12.ASP
    Getting Win98 startup disc
    http://bootdisk.com/

7. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hey davey! Those instructions from MS explaining how to restore the registry for ME are wrong. I know, I tried it many moons ago. Fortunately, Bryan gave me the right instructions when I needed them.
    To make a startup disk for ME: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove>Startup Disk>Create Disk. Make sure you have a formatted floppy handy.
    To restore the registry: Shut down the pc. Insert your startup disk that you created into the floppy drive and turn on the pc. Take Option 3, Start W/O CD Rom Support. Then type this at an A: prompt

c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

Now you'll be presented with a list of registries to restore from. Use the up/down arrows to highlight the date you want to restore. Press enter to restore it.(BTW a good backup will have the word "Started" beside it).

After the restore it will ask you if you want to restart now. Remove the boot diskette. Now press enter to start Windows. (*Note the space between scanreg /restore. Windows keeps 5 backup, one for each day you shutdown)

I think you can also take the option Minimal boot(option 4) and then just type scanreg /restore and proceed from there.(But I'm not completely positive of this second option). I hope this helps a little. :) sharon

8. edmacc

edmacc Thread Starter

Davey:

I think the 1st option would be easier and more effective. But I haven't seen any DLL missing messages or anything like that. Wouldn't it be possible to download the Help and Support from another site and whatever was missing would then be filled in. The 2nd alternative sounds tricky and dangerous. Even Sharon thinks so and I don't have any blank formatted disks--CD-Rom or otherwise. I looked in the help center file folder--that holds all info--to see if anything could be shown here. Do you have any ideas about which DLL's I should be looking for, or what files should be in the help and support file folder--aka "help center" and "pc health center?"

There must be something in the files or logs that would show what is missing in the Help and Suppoort.

9. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hi ed! Actually, restoring the registry isn't dangerous, it's just that it should only be used when it's absolutely necessary and this sounds like one of those times. Are you saying you don't have a floppy drive to insert floppies? If you don't have one that means you can't restore the registry the way I explained.
    I wish I could help you more! Help and Support is a great feature and I feel bad that you can't get it up and running. There are some very experienced people at this board and hopefully someone can point you in the right direction. If you do have a floppy drive, let us know. I think restoring the registry to a date before you ran that regcleaner would be the best solution. What was the date exactly that you ran the regcleaner? You have to watch out for those registry cleaners, they can screw things up-as you have already discovered. BTW I'm not sure how to find out which .dll's are missing. Win98 had System File Checker and you could find out if any files had been deleted or corrupted, but, alas they removed that feature in WinMe. I'll go check MS Knowledge Base and see what I can find out about Help and Support for you. Wishing you the best of Luck :) sharon

10. edmacc

edmacc Thread Starter

Sharon:

I do have a CD-Rom drive, J, I believe. I also have X-setup which has a Reg Edit and a registry checker for its external file system. As I said before, I looked inside the help center program files. Would missing or corrupted files be there--how would they stand out? I used Easy Cleaner and I even installed their special regsitry add-on for Windows ME, which was supposed to prevent the help file from being damaged. I thought that this would prevent my Help and Support from working badly.

On my Help and Support, I can use certain areas of the file. the Interactive tools work alright, the Internet assistence works alright. The only area that doesn't work now is the index area and the many links within the help file itself. There are 2 areas. On the left side there are various options, you can click on this and on the right side, steps are supposed to appear about whatever question was asked. This no longer works.

Tell me, is there a way the reg edit or registry checker from X-Setup could help with finding any missing files in the help center (i.e. Help and Support.) Maybe this registry checker could work the same as the Win98 System Checker. Maybe X-Setup, from Xteq systems, might have a solution. It is an excellent tweaking tool and it's free too. Hundreds of thousands of people have downloaded it and are using it.

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ed
    I'm glad Sharon picked up on the proceedural error in the microsoft documents. I've given that info out before and never knew it was wrong. Registry checker in winME is actually scanreg /autorun and if a copy of the previous registry back-up is not found it run scanreg /fix.
    It attenpts to fix the registy. You mentioned before you have some capabilities in help. Can you go to tools and run registry checker? If you do does it come back and say no errors? Also if you don't have a floppy 3-1/2 drive I'm not sure where to go from here. Sharon is correct, allot of fine people roam this site and may have other options for you so don't give up yet.

I'm not familiar with X-Setup, from Xteq systems, and as your last experience testifies I am leary about any third party registry programs.
    Hang tight and lets see if someone else has suggestions.
    Dave
    Also thanks for the correction Sharon, hate to give out bad info!

12. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hi ed, I'm not sure if X-setup from Xteq Systems can check for missing or deleted .dlls or files or not as I've never used it. You could contact the company and ask them if you want to find out.I download as little as possible as I've had a couple situations myself that I've had to fix after using software from the net. So, I'm a little leery unless it comes highly recommended and is compatible with my OS. You could contact the company and ask them if you'd like to find out.

I checked MS Knowledge Base and couldn't find too much info on your problem. Personally, I think the easiest, quickest route would be to restore the registry to a day before you used the reg cleaner if within the last five days. All you need is a floppy drive and a WinMe startup disk(floppy).It's a pretty simple procedure. There are much more knowledgable people at this board than I that may be able to offer other solutions, but this all I could come up with. Sorry, I wish I could offer you better support. Maybe davey has found something in his travels to help you out. If you want to try to restore the registry and need any step clarified, I'll be around. :) sharon

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

No Sharon I've run out of options here to since Ed does not have a floppy drive. The unfortunate thing is, if the *statemgr was functioning and creating registry dates, Ed could have several months worth of registry back-up dates to select from.

14. Sharon D

Sharon D

No problem davey. :) I was still typing when you were posting. Davey's right ed, don't give up-there are some incredibly knowledgeable people in this forum. I just wish I was one of them :D sharon

Posting too quick! Didn't he say he can't get System Restore to work? You can't check the thread when you edit your post. grumble....

[Edited by Sharon D on 06-07-2001 at 06:22 PM]

15. edmacc

edmacc Thread Starter

Sharon:

I do have a 3.5 floppy disk holder and I creatyed a start-up disk and followed your instructions to the letter. I picked the earliest date, June 3rd. Trouble is, when I selected this date, it threw my healp and Support into a worse way. Now, it says "Page cannot be found," like Internet pages show when a web site is no longer there. I cannot do anything with the Help and Support now. June 3rd must have been a bad day on the registry for the Help center or something. Well, now, I do have a formatted start-up disk for WinME at least. I need to go back further than June 3rd. I would say at least mid-May. There's no way I could download this Help and Support from another site.

Dave, I hope you read this and know I did the start-up disk and the procedures and now Help and Support is in worse shape. But all the steps were like I was told by Sharon. C'est la vie, right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice