1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Home network Headaches

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ste69, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ste69

ste69 Thread Starter

Hi there - I'm connecting 2 desktop PCs and one tablet pc via a Wireless and ethernet capable modem Router... The 2 Desktops are wired via ethernet and the tablet is wireless (unsecured at the moment)

I'm having great trouble getting any network set up so that all 3 PCs can exchange files etc....

The router is working because I have got internet connection running to all 3 of them.

I've tried a couple of times unsuccessfully and am pulling my hair out.

Is there a step by step guide for getting this right.

Also the Tablet PC obviously has no A: drive so I cannot run a network disk on it - is there a way around this problem.

As always - any help is appreciated.

Steve

2. golddust

golddust

Are you able to 'see' the other computers on each of your computers in My Network Places? If not, lower firewalls on all computers and see if this is the problem. If the firewalls are not the problem, are you 'sharing' files? Files must be marked 'shared' in order to access over the network.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Also the Tablet PC obviously has no A: drive so I cannot run a network disk on it - is there a way around this problem."

Meaning you want to run the Network Setup Wizard on it? Does it have a CD drive? You can run the Wizard from the Windows XP CD's "Other Tasks" area.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Fortunately running any network wizard is not needed to network computers.

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

5. ste69

ste69 Thread Starter

Hi Guys - I've lowered the firewalls and its working now - I've got the windows firewall and Norton Internet security (which keeps telling me not to use the windows one in favour of theirs)

Anyway - i would rather have them up if possible - on the exceptions list, there's nothing to tick for exploring other machines on the network so do i need to make a connection the exception but then I need to know which ones to tick etc and its all a bit confusing under the advanced tab of the firewall.

I'm nearly there thanks to you guys - Can anyone just get me the rest of the way now??? :)

Steve

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That #6 is so often the cause of the problem.

Now that you have it working without a firewall, add in the Windows one to see if it continues to function.

See, no floppy needed.

Good job by the way. I just posted the information and you weren't too long in replying it is working already

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's better to not have multiple firewalls running; one usually causes sufficient problems. :) If it were me I'd disable the Norton one, but if you are going to use that one I suggest you turn the Windows XP firewall off.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I thought Norton would automatically turn off the Windows firewall so you can't have both running at the same time.

Since it is more complicated or at least seems to cause more problems with networking, might want to hold off on Norton for a bit.

9. ste69

ste69 Thread Starter

You guys are fantastic - Norton was the problem - Windows firewall back on and it works across the network - now - I just need to get my folders talking to each other - i'm having a few access issues but I'm going to have a go at that a bit later - It's getting late here and I should be asleep really :)

Great job though and thanks a load

Steve -

PS - if i don't get my folders working, I'll be back (y)

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Good job. That's why I post those steps. Not only got you networking but now you are more informed for how to troubleshoot networking problems. And all the wizards would have helped anyway for this problem.

11. ste69

ste69 Thread Starter

All done guys - I nearly had another question but solved it myself (yey) All folders have the correct permissions and I can get to it all on all computers.

Can't thank you enough. But i'm off to bed.

Its now 12:30 am and the clocks go forward an hour shortly so it's going to 2:00 am in half an hour :) :eek:

Messes with my head. :confused:

Thanks again

Steve

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

No sweat. Glad you go it all working and thanks for posting back.

Sounds like you are also learning a lot from all those troubleshooting steps.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice