1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft is going to stop selling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Bush Lady, Mar 25, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Some of you may have already heard. Microsoft is planning to stop selling Windows XP in their new computers. They are soon planning to end support for Windows XP. Read the following link If you want to help keep Windows XP up, sign the petition in the link

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

This is pretty much the same that occurred with Win2k, Me, 98se, 98, 95 NT4, Win3x to Win1.0, and all the Dos versions.
    I did hear a rumor that support might be extended a bit longer than stated.......but so what?
    The machines upgrade over time and a new OS is often a better way than just patching up an old OS.
    Like USB. It was limited on 95 and 98. Ran well under 98se. But the new USB2 was often finiky under 98se .
    And USB3......that's coming and I wonder what it won't work with.
    Putting a really large hard drive on a 95 thru 98se machine is a hassle.
    And software.........much recent software just doesn't run on older systems, hardware and software wise.
    So it becomes an issue of how much effort a user/owner decides to put into keeping old systems going.........the hassle factor.

When support for 98se ended, it didn't affect me one bit.
    Well........being corrupted by MS updates did end :D

Personally, critical updates scare the hell out of me because I'm never sure they aren't going to break something. So I don't allow auto updates. I do them when I'm feeling brave :D

Keeping an up to date drive image is the best insurance of all, imo.
    It fixes 'stupid' a lot better than an MS update ;)

3. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

I agree with Stoner - MS doesn't really have a genuine reason to continue updating XP, now that Vista's been generally widespread.

If they just stuck with their best OS, they'd still be on 2000, but that's neither here nor there. ;)

4. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Good, becaise I have 2000 on my desktop pc....and one os change is enough.....sheesh....I just got my laptop with XP

Why don't they just do them all right?

5. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

They should just make the whole pc fix itselfable. I would pay a fee every month for that. I guess I'm spoiled:eek:...but i hate when it all goes wrong at once.

6. jaye944

jaye944

I've started doing that

7. Wino

Wino

I don't expect a rush to stop XP support. There is an XP SP3 Beta floating around (315MB) and many corps are not making the upgrade to Vista. When XP is no longer available as an option in the new machine market, I expect there will still be MS support for several years. I've worked with Vista recently and unimpressed, and have found no compelling reason to upgrade. Not to mention I have scanners, printers and programs that will not function in Vista, which I have no intentions of replacing

Aside to stoner: Not sure I understand your problems with USB. I've used USB from the gitgo (on my many machines) when it can with an IBM Aptiva with 98FE and have never had a problem with either 1.1 or 2.0. Don't remember ever seeing USB on a 95 machine. Even adding 2.0 PCI cards to 98FE & SE machines. Since USB is hardware, I would not expect any problems with 3.0 except it being faster (and presume backward compatible) than my old IBM could absorb the data transmitted.

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

The last versions of 95 had limited support for USB 1.1.........I don't think any external drives are seen.
    http://www.usbman.com/Win95 USB Guide.htm
    98FE was supposed to have more support, but I don't know the limitations.
    (there have been discussion about 98fe at TSG that I drew those conclusions from)
    98SE came with full support of USB1.1 but there were chip set conflicts with addin cards of USB 2.0 with some motherboards. I know because I owned 2 that would not properly recognize anything but Adaptec add in cards. One a Dell and the other a Gateway.
    ( BTW, I even had a Gigabyte socket seven mb that had conflicts with a NetGear(?) ethernet addin card)

True, but if the OS is lacking the ability to recognize onboard USB or an addin card, like the first run of 95, it just won't be seen or as with the issues I had with USB 2......the hardware/driver conflicts crashed the computer every time a USB item was plugged in.

I expect USB3 to work with XP and Vista, but it might be iffy with win2K as MS doesn't support it any longer and probably has no intention to retro the issue. That leaves it entirely to 3rd party and I'm doubtful they'll spend the effort for what will be such a small return in their investment.
    Wasn't it until win2K sp3 or 4 that USB2 was supported in win2K?
    Time passes and the same will apply to XP.....but I suspect XP will have a much longer run of 3rd party support. The number of users will dictate that support.

And yeah, Vista certainly seems to acquired a black eye. Currently, I see no reason to upgrade.

I'm looking forward to USB3 in scanning. Guess I'm getting impatient in my old age :D

9. Wino

Wino

Aah, yes!! In the autumn of my years an instant scanner would be a great time saver.(y):p

BTW, thanks for your USB response.

10. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Its how micro$hite works. nay, the world. Get used to it or get linux. I prefer the later but to each their own prison

Most newer laptops are built with hardware that only has Vista drivers, and some programs are not far behind. Now I will agree that vista is no where near ready for prime time, they got too many holes to patch. But when XP came out it was the same way. I say in about one year Vista will be "useable". but till then I guess just suck it up.

11. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hello Omega Shadow :)

Good to see you back :)

12. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Not "back" per say. ;) More like "passing though" :cool:

So what have you been up to, other then Teaching 'Universal Serial Bus History 101' :D :p

13. Stoner

Stoner Banned

:D

Mostly just waiting on warmer weather :D

14. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Yeah, well, you better pass through more often! :p

15. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

I'll think about it :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice