1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft is nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobigart, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobigart

bobigart Thread Starter

I have replaced my harddrives on my computer reloaded windows XP pro and tried to load the offical service pack 2 and the program gets half way done and then tells me I have a non genuine copy and won't load anymore, I called Microsoft and they told me that I had to BUY a new XP Pro disk because I rebuilt my machine with the 2 harddrives.

At 77 years old living on a fixed income where do they think I can come up with another $190.00.

Bob Bigart (n)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the Service Pack 2 installation is telling you that the license key is invalid its not because you've activated it too many times its because the key has been flagged as pirated. Activation is not done during the installation of a service pack and switching hard drives would not and could not stop successful installation of service pack 2. It is only during Windows activation that it may fail to validate because of two many activations or significant chances to hardware - in which case you can and should be able to validate it over the phone explaining that only the hard drive has changed - I've done this hundreds of times and as long as the copy is truly genuine then they will complete the activation over the phone. The only exception to this is if you change the motherboard in a brand name system with another one that isn't approved by the manufacturer and you are using an OEM Windows license.

I must ask, do you have an original Windows XP CD and an original Windows XP license and where did it come from?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice