Solved Microsoft keeps asking me to change my password

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beswickd

I have an HP Elite Touchscreen operating Win10 Pro. Microsoft has given me two days to replace my password. I tried the Windows -R button dialog box and put in "userpasswords2" to get to the disable screen but it doesn't recognize "userpasswords2" Any suggestions?

beswickd

I have an HP Elite Touchscreen operating Win10 Pro. Microsoft has given me two days to replace my password. I tried the Windows -R button dialog box and put in "userpasswords2" to get to the disable screen but it doesn't recognize "userpasswords2" Any suggestions?
I don't want to have to change the password.

Hi, yes please give us more info regarding this message, how do you receive it? You should not do anything under "control userpasswords2", or more commonly "netplwiz", and if an email do not respond.

beswickd

The message is delivered in a black dialog box that comes in from the right side of the screen at the bottom. I had this happen a couple of months ago on another computer and I did the windows key/R, entered userpasswords2 and it took me to a page where I could check a box that said "don't change password" or something similar, and it worked. I tied it with this computer and get an error message so I tried it on the one that was already fixed and got the same error message so they've obviously changed something.

beswickd

I just tried what you suggested and none of it worked. I typed "Local Security Policy" in the start menu and all it does is take me to a Bing webpage. The box doesn't show up. Then I tried the command prompt and got nowhere with that either.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Normally the message I think you refer to is when a administrator of a system - a network of computers on a domain
has set this requirement
It is not usually associated with a home computer - even if it is on a home network
Was Windows 10 the OS on that HP Elite originally or have you installed 10 and if so from where please - the free update from 8.1 or 7 when that was in operation or elsewhere

beswickd

I purchased the computer remanufactured and I activated the OS on it. I actually have two of these computers and the one I'm referring to is my Wife's. I got mine forst and I used the W/R Key - userpasswords2 to disable mine but since the latest W10 update, that doesn't work anymore. I tried getting into it on the computer that was already done and couldn't get in. Then I tied it on a friend's with the same result.

Hi, userpasswords2 never worked, because it is control userpasswords2, or better still it's netplwiz, from the run dialogue box.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Send please a copy and paste of the information in the white box when you run this - our system information utility
https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Also try this which if it works you have no need to send the information above.

open a cmd prompt with admin rights and type
lusrmgr.msc

press enter.
That should take you to this window
Untitled.png

check if on your system the box - password never expires is checked
If not - check it click apply and ok
REBOOT

and see if the popup still occurs
If it does go back and check if the box has remained checked.

If it has not - send copy and paste requested please.

Last edited:

beswickd

I'm really sorry but we had a family matter to deal with and I haven't been able to get back to you. Thanks to the suggestion from MacBoatMasteer the problem has been resolved. Thank you all very, very much for your help.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Thanks for coming back and posting your thanks
Pleased to have helped

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online