1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft keyboard with fingerprint sensor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dbirds, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dbirds

Dbirds Thread Starter

I'm currently using the M/S Keyboard with fingerprint sensor, however, it does't 'come alive' during the boot process until the welcome screen comes on. I cannot access my bios nor type any commands during boot up.

Has anyone had any experience with this keyboard? If that's just what it does, I'll replace.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not the keyboard's fault, its the computer's BIOS fault. You need to use a PS2 keyboard to enable USB Legacy Support in order for a USB keyboard to function before Windows loads its USB drivers and enables the keyboard.

3. Dbirds

Dbirds Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, unfortunately I'm unable to locate the USB Legacy support switch in my Bios. I'm using Phoenix Award v6.00PG - 10/09/03

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What motherboard do you have?

5. Dbirds

Dbirds Thread Starter

I have an Abit NF7

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your board has an option for USB Keyboard control under Integrated Peripherals. Change the "USB Keyboard Control Via" option from "OS" to "BIOS".

7. Dbirds

Dbirds Thread Starter

I found the entry in my bios and changed it from OS to BIOS with no change in the boot process. Unfortunately, my keyboard is still inactive until the final stages on boot up. Is there anything else that might help?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe a BIOS update...but sometimes somethings that should work just doesn't. If you had another USB keyboard that was another brand you could try to see if it happen with all USB keyboards or just that one.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, where is the USB keyboard being plugged into? Make sure its not in a USB hub but rather plugged into the back USB ports, try another set of USB ports as I assume there's probably 4 or more on the system.

10. Dbirds

Dbirds Thread Starter

To Triple6

Persistance pays off. I plugged in the keyboard to one of the Mobo's USB sockets and it works. During the boot process, even though the keyboard didn't light up, the keys were active and now I can get into the BIOS. Thanks for your help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice