1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Licensing Word Question-AAAAARGH

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HUBIE, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

I purchased word 2000 professional for my old computer, registered it and (I know, I know...) threw out the case.

Well, now I have a new computer and it keeps prompting for a registration # on the back of the case, which I don't have, and the numbers I am trying to use that I can find on the old program do not match up.

I tried calling Microsoft but, well, you know how THAT goes....

Any quick help here?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Download and run Belarc Advisor (Google will find a download location suitable for your area) and run it. It should give you the CD Key used when you installed it with any luck. When you get the key, write it on the CD with a felt pen.

It depends on the Windows version, but you don't mention that in your post.

3. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Okay-did that-got it!!! THX!!!

I did notice, however, that all my hotfix's have a red x next to them (fails verification). Reinstall. Should I be concerned and should I reinstall all 50?

Thanks again.

4. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Guess what-

The license # does not match up to the prompt boxes-same problem as before.

What is UP with that?

The license # is 5 digis-3digis-7digis(problem)-5 digis.

The prompt # has only 5 digis where the 7 goes and TWO more boxes after that.

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

try aida32, make sure you get the enterprise version

belarc doesn't seem to give as much info about the license/keys on myW98 machine

are you using W98? or what OS?

i ran both and aida gave me both the cd/product key AND the registration key but the amount of info differs on a W98se machine versus an XP machine between aida and belarc

from the old office 2000 cd case and from aida/belarc:

the cd/product key is 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 (total 5 boxes, 25 alphanumeric entries)
    the registration key was 5 - 3 - 7 - 5 all numeric

there's also an app called magic jellybean finder, but it doesn't find the keys of office2000 products

red Xs - shows on belarc on W98 machine, but all ok according to windows update site - i'd ignore it

6. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Using 2000 professional...trying aida now....thx

7. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Last shot, I guess....where do I find this info in aida? When I go to licenses, word is not there. Whe I go to word and click, it says "Uninstall?"

So, where is the info??

THX

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

hmmm, good question
    should pick it up in the software/licenses section

Attached Files:

• aida.jpg
      aida.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
  9. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

nope

10. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Ok then-If I can't retreive the product key # on either of these-what else would you suggest? Call Microsoft? Use a free word program shareware? Which one? THX

11. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

12. tsunam

tsunam

eep! for a office suite that is free there's but one choice Openoffice :) http://www.openoffice.org/ is the link. I use it both on my windows machine and my linux box, for paperwork. Its a full suite of apps just like Microsoft office.

13. jbcalg

jbcalg

if you have the receipts etc to prove ownership and you registered it - should be able to get a new key from Bill

if you're tired of the chase :)
    openoffice is good (or the retail StarOffice form SUN, built from earlier openoffice work)

spend $$ - could always try MS works suite - has a full blown version of word in it, try some of the online stores, look for the 2002 or 2003 edition - around $30-$40

14. Gingerkc

Gingerkc

Hi: If you click on help in M$ Word thwn on about M$ word, does it not show your product registration code there?

15. jbcalg

jbcalg

no, different code
    that shows the 5 - 3 - 7 - 5 all numeric registration code

he needs the 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 (total 5 boxes, 25 alphanumeric entries) cd/product key

you use the second one to install, then it generates the first one

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice