1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Money 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HelpHound, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HelpHound

HelpHound Thread Starter

We are using Money 2004 and have now installed Money 2007, the 2004 version is still installed and functioning.

We wish to move our "D:\BU Backups\My Money Backup.mbf" file that was updated today to Money 2007, but we are advised on the "About upgrading your Money file" Window that "Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version of Money. To open a different file or create a new one, on the FILE menu, click OPEN or NEW"

We have tried all of the various options, but still seem to come back to the same message.

Is there a way of updating the old Money 2004 backup file, we obviously wish to avoid entering in three years of data at all costs!

2. stantley

stantley

Instead of using the backup file try using the My Money.mny file. Make a copy of it first then in Money 2007 do File > Open and use My Money.mny.

3. HelpHound

HelpHound Thread Starter

Hi Stantley,

Thanks for your input, but we tried this and still ended up with the same message.

Is there a way of getting past the "About upgrading your Money file" Window to the "My Money Home page" or wouldn't this help?

4. stantley

stantley

5. HelpHound

HelpHound Thread Starter

Hi Stantley,

Thanks again, we followed your suggested .QIF route and have successfully imported one of the accounts from Money 2004 into Money 2007, these accounts cover from 2002 to the present.

The problems remaining are:-

1. The Number column remains blank therefore the cheque numbers are missing.
    2. The Payee column remains blank for transfers (the other columns are OK).
    3. The C column is E in every entry.

1. and 2. are not a big problem as it affects only a small proportion of entries that can be
    corrected manually.
    However column 3. means changing every entry from E to R, unless there is a way of doing this globally.

Perhaps these three problems are unavoidable in converting from Money to Quicken and back again.

6. stantley

stantley

You're welcome. I'm glad at least most of the data got transferred. I also have Money 2004 and I'm sure at some point I'll have to upgrade, so I'll be faced with the same situation.

Boy isn't Microsoft great, Money can't read a Money file, but it can read a Quicken file. :eek: Not exactly great program design. I guess they're more concerned with stealing away Quicken customers than they are with keeping their own.

7. HelpHound

HelpHound Thread Starter

Hi Stantley,

When you get to upgrading from Money 2004 to 2007 and perhaps hit on a method of carrying out a complete transfer of all data please let me know.

In 2007 there is a splash screen advising of a later program, Money 2008, I wonder if that might be the route for you to go. Who knows, perhaps they might have addressed this issue in that version.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice