1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft .NET Framework

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by debbie41, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debbie41

debbie41 Thread Starter

I have all these on my computer. can anyone tell me what they are for and if i need all of them?
    microsoft .net framework 1.1
    microsoft .net framework 2.0 service pack 2
    microsoft .net framework 3.0 service pack 2
    microsoft .net framework 3.5 service pack 1

i also have
    microsoft user-mode driver framework feature pack 1.0

i do not know what any of these are for. my computer is an older one and runs a little slow. trying to get rid of programs i don't need.
    thanks, debbie

2. gyclone

gyclone

Those are all things you should probably keep. The .net framework is the basis of a great deal of the Windows platform and many, many programs rely on it. The different versions do different things, so you can't just keep the 3.5. The user-mode driver framework could also be in use by any number of programs.

Good ways to greater increase the performance of your computer are to:

• Run a disk cleanup utility to get rid of unnecessary files. I like http://ccleaner.com, but there's one built into Windows and accessible via Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup
    • Run Disk Defragmentor via Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmentor. If you've never done this before, you should do it a few times and it will make a HUGE difference.
    • You can get a good, free malware scanner from http://malwarebytes.org that will search your system for malicious software
    • There are some good, free duplicate file finder programs available, too, that will check to see if you have multiple copies of the same files scattered around your system. This isn't usually a huge problem on personal computers, but business computers frequently run into trouble with dup's
    I hope that helps! Oh, one other note, it's best to stay away from registry cleaning or repairing software, it frequently does more harm than good. The CCleaner I recommended above has registry cleaning and repairing options, but they are disabled by default, so if you use that software, just leave the "Registry" section alone (other than to maybe look and verify that it's turned off).

3. gyclone

gyclone

Debbie,

I listed a few more performance enhancing options in another thread that you might find helpful, as well.
    http://techguy.org/975350

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Unless you're down to less than 5-10% free hard drive space and can't defrag it, uninstalling programs won't make it run faster. You probably have a malware problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!