Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft News and Bing have hijacked windows 10 (Chrome)

710 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Advocate123 
#1 ·
Hello,

There might be a simple solution...but it evades me. After installing Win 10 a few months ago, some changes started taking place. For instance, Bing pops up in start-up and I have done all I can to remove it...it just keeps re-appearing. Also, Microsoft news comes up in start-up, and the steps outlined from a search to remove could not be completed. If there is a simple solution I would appreciate a step-by-step remedy. If I am stuck with it...well, I am way up in my Grandpa years, and have seen just about everything since 1996 when you had to kick start your hard drive. Thanks.

#2 ·
It may be that your browser (chrome) needs to be cleaned. I like (prefer) Ccleaner to clean all my browsers and junk files from the PC. Let it install and just click custom clean on the left panel and then click run clean on the right. Don't mess with the resgistry stuff.

If that doesn't work....just uninstall chrome and download a fresh copy and install it.

#3 ·
Thank you bassfisher6522...I followed your instruction to the letter...and for a moment, I thought that did the trick! But, lo, Bing returned this morning. It's not so much that any damage is being done, I simply resent the intrusion into my life with the basest of advertising techniques---force the reader to view your product even for a few seconds. Anyway, I appreciate the advice. I guess I am stuck with the Microsoft/Bing forced entry.

#8 ·
I was just getting ready to answer DaveA when the message from Silversurf was posted....Eureka! Through the Edge settings to the search engine choices did the trick....It always feels good to reclaim a piece of property---I never invited Bing or Edge into my realm, and I was determined to remove them if possible. And thanks to all of you for making it possible. I am impressed that I received such immediate and quality assistance. Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.