1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Office 2010 suite....and Netbook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by annaz, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annaz

annaz Thread Starter

This came already preloaded on my Netbook; it's actually Microsoft Office "STARTER" 2010 (and I don't need more for this Netbook), but I need a product key, which I have to buy. I didn't know this and was going to install my current, 3pc limit Microsoft Office 2007 on the Netbook. I don't want to install this in my netbook as that would be two programs, right? And to just make things easier, would it be best to just buy a product key for 2010 for my Netbook?

I'm not sure what "starter" is, although if I click on Purchase it takes me to a one-user Home and Student 2010 edition.

My current desktop computer has Microsoft Office 2007 home and Student edition. Can this be upgraded by the same product key code if I were to buy the whole product (with disc) for it's key code for my Netbook? I know if I just buy the product key code it's only good for one computer and it seems like that would be a waste of money. It's $109!

So can I or should I upgrade my desktop computer to match the Netbook's version of Microsoft Office and use the same key code for both? I'm not sure that can be done. Or perhaps I should leave well enough alone and simply buy the product key code for my Netbook which is preloaded with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 Suite.

Any advice? I don't need "issues". :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You shouldn't need to buy anything to continue using Office Starter on the netbook. If it does what you want, leave it.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/

If you want something more, you have to buy a real suite like Home and Student. There's no full version of "Starter".
    If you have a 3-computer license for Office 2007, you can install that on 3 computers total. That's it.
    If you buy a 1-computer license for Office 2010 for your netbook, you can only run it on the netbook. If you want to install it on another computer, you have to remove it from the netbook, reinstall it on the other computer, and activate it. You'll likely have problems doing so and will need to call Microsoft and explain what you did.

3. annaz

annaz Thread Starter

I didn't want to install the 1 user on my main as well. I just didn't know if that was a stupid buy to spend $109 for a simple product key. I didn't know if I should upgrade my main computer's 2007 Home & Student to 2010's Home & Student and upgrade the Starter to Home & Student.

My mind tells me to leave it all alone and just get buy the product key for the Netbook. I'll go back and relook at the Netbook...maybe they're telling me to get a product key for an upgrade. It is entirely possible I am completely confused. ;)

Thanks for the "starter" link. I'll go check it out.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you want to install Office 2010 on 2 computers, you need 2 licenses. Or you can buy a copy that allows you to install it on 3 computers.

5. annaz

annaz Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. "Starter" was there, being able to use it without buying product key. What they did was put Microsoft Office Starter way,way down on the bottom of the start-up menu so you had to go into all the programs then it was at the bottom of that. They put Microsoft Office way up top to make it look like they were one in the same and to make people assume you had to buy a product key just to get "starter". I hate that.

No upgrades needed and nothing need to be bought.

Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice