1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 - Messages won't delete

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by smooth, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Hey everybody :D

I just set up an IMAP to an e-mail account I have. It works great, all the folders synchronize and everything like that.

The only problem I am having is, if I delete a message, instead of the message going away, it has a line go through the message. The message still shows up in the folder. Is there any setting that I can change so that this doesn't happen?

Thanks.

2. Alaric_

Alaric_

have you checked the settings - its possible you are leaving the messages on the mail server. If that is the case it will mark them as deleated on your end but they are actually still available out on the internet on your mail server.

The other possibility is you may need to empty your deleted items folder.

3. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Thanks for the reply. :D

Yeah, they are still available on the mail server. They have the line through them there, just like they do in Outlook.

Is there anyway of overriding this? Does outlook have the capability of deleting the message off of the server as well?

4. Alaric_

Alaric_

Yes it should be in your options for that particular mail account... As long as you have admin rights to your intstalation of outlook.

5. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Thanks for the solution. :D

I ended up using the Purge function in outlook, and it deleted them in both places.

I do have another quick question though. How do I get my filters to go over to outlook? Right now I have probably 50 different folders, and each one has a filter applied to where if a message comes in with certain criteria, it is sent to that folder immediately.

Is there a way to import these filters, or will I have to go and set them up manually in Outlook?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice