1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Office Outlook File Won't Open

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bossard, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

I have a Microsoft Office Outlook file that won't open. Each time I attempt to do so I get a box that comes up and reads cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Wrong Number.msg. the file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, etc. I right clicked properties on the folder and it shows a 7.6 MB file that should open with Microsoft Office Outlook. Does anyone know why this may happen?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Bossard

Do you recall creating that file?
    Could it be a file that should have another extension?

Try changing the extension to .pst and see if you can connect it to Outlook:
    Start Outlook,
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the Wrong Number.pst file and select it.

If it is a valid .pst file, it should then appear in Outlook. If it is not a valid .pst file, Outlook should give you an error.

Other than the file problem Outlook opens fine, by itself, correct?
    What version of Outlook are you using?

3. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Hi EAFiedler,

The file was sent to me via email. There was a 215 byte attachment sent along with it and when I checked it's properties it was called a "[1.2] file". That doesn't open either.

When I checked the properties of the Outlook file it said the file type was "Outlook Item". It didn't have .msg there in properties, just "Outlook Item". Does that mean the extension is missing?

I am using Outlook 2007.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

No the extension isn't missing, your system is most likely configured to NOT show file extensions.

For Windows XP:
    • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
      Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
      under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
      Remove the check mark for:
      Hide Extensions for known file types
      Apply, OK to save and close.

You should now be able to see the file extension of the file.

Do you know what the contents should be in the file?
    You may need to ask the Sender how they created the file.

The extension .msg is normally the file type Outlook uses when saving a message, outside of itself.

Sorry, the "[1.2] file" means nothing to me

5. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

I followed the process you suggested in "My Computer" and I now see the file extension, ".msg"

I don't know the contents of the file. I will have to ask the sender about how it was created.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice