1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Office - pinning not working/or pinning wrong (eg adobe pinning to word)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by woodb, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woodb

woodb Thread Starter

I installed Word 2013 onto a new computer some time ago. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Pinning has never worked. I can drag, I can right click and select pin, I can do whatever I want, but nothing appears and it just stays blank. Neither do recently opened items show up on a right click of the icon. Pinning/recent items works on everything else (e.g. Adobe, Explorer), including Outlook. I tried reinstalling but it still wouldn't work. I couldn't find much to go on so I gave up and have done without pinning. Recently I turned on "store and display recently opened items in the start menu and the taskbar" and suddenly I was given another clue as to what the issue is - Excel still shows nothing BUT in Word's recent items I'm getting *Adobe* files (see screenshot, file names removed for privacy): http://i.imgur.com/3wOOU60.png) I can pin adobe files to word's icon. I googled again and I still don't see anything about this but I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this and can help. Thanks in advance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Verify this first and use the Clear button to clear the jump lists: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/show-or-hide-recent-items-on-the-start-menu

Does Word show recently used files when you open it? If not see if changing the following setting helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...t-of-recently-used-files-HA010075984.aspx#BM1

If it shows recently used files in Word then try deleting everything in the following folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Just click on your Start button and copy and paste that into Search/Run box and press Enter to get to the folder. Then open Word and open up a few documents to see if it populates the list.

Edit: You can try deleting just the larger files in the above folder first if you don't want to lose your entire current jump lists.

3. woodb

woodb Thread Starter

Thanks! Word does show recently used files. I deleted all the files in AutomaticDestinations, and that appears to have fixed the issue of PDF files showing up on the Word recent list. Unfortunately now it's gone back to nothing showing up for recent items and being unable to pin items even when dragging the file onto the icon.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. woodb

woodb Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I haven't had a chance to try this yet but wanted to acknowledge your response. Also, I'm not actually *trying* to pin Adobe files to Word, it's just that they started showing up in the recent document list on the jump list (good to know the actual term for that) and I tried pinning a couple of those files just to see what happened while trying to figure out how to fix the issue on my own.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    They have been called "Recent List" much longer than they have been "Jump List"
    And they will be found under the subfolder of "Recent".

The first time I heard the term "Jump List" was from someone from "Down under".

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1137311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice