Microsoft Office"Windows cannot find C:(doc)Make sure you type and try again."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phnx4life

Has anyone ever had the problem when opening a Microsoft Office word 2007 file on the desktop or elsewhere and then receive the message: "Windows cannot find C: (doc)Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." Seems to be a compatibility issue with Vista and Microsoft office 2007. I have tried several ways and searched the web and found a few techniques. I have minimized the problem, but it still persists. Odd, because I just double-click on the file which is right in front of my nose. How can it not find the file?I need a solid solution. Thanks for your help!

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you clicking on a file or a old link to a file that has been deleted?

phnx4life

No, I am not clicking on to a deleted file. It is a file that exists on my desktop or in a folder. I just double-click on it and it is marked as a Microsoft word file. It may give me the error message once and then I have to close it. If I try it again, it may open without an error. There are times it will show the error message two or three times consecutively.:confused:

Is the icon on your desktop a shortcut to the file or the actual Word document file?

Raybro

phnx4life

No, I don't use any shortcuts for word documents. They are all the actual files. :)

Does this happen with more than one document? If its just the one, try getting it open, copy the content and paste it into a new document with a slightly altered name.

Raybro

phnx4life

It happens with any file I may open for the first time, then I 'll have to close it and try again.

Pretty strange, even for M$. ;)

Have you considered reinstalling Office?

Raybro

About the only thought I have left is some association with some sort of malware. Unlikely, I agree, but have you done any scans? If you don't have them, I suggest Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are excellent programs for the task. Both are free downloads. Also a virus scan. Kaspersky is an excellent online scanner.

Have you pulsed M$ about the compatibility question? Hard to imagine Office 2007 not being compatible with Vista, but who knows with M$.

Good Luck... Raybro

phnx4life

Thank you very much for your advice. I will dl those aformentioned programs and give it a shot. I'll let you know what happended, tonight after work!(y)

;)

phnx4life

Sorry, busy for a couple of days working and then deep scanning and defrag. my system. It seemed to clear the problem. Your suggestion was a good one. I also recommend a-squared free for a very good deep scan. I found that I had two high risk back door trojans/worms hiding in my system. I recommend raybro's suggestion, if people are having similar problems. For now, the problem seems to be gone. I will get back to you, if it comes back again. Thanks a bunch!(y)

;)

phnx4life

Tried it again, this morning...still doing it. I am at my wits end about this problem. I don't know what else to do. If you still some ideas...let me know, thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online