1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Office Word will not open

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by caarlyon, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Hi All of a sudden microsoft word will not open properly. I get the page with the hourglass but it doesn't open to a fresh page for typing and I cannot open any of my documents either. I have tried system restore but didn't have a point far enough back for it to work. I have tried reinstalling from a disk I had from my old computer, but it doesn't work either.
    I don't know why it would suddenly just stop working, it keeps telling me to report the problem, which I have done endlessly.
    I am on XP using an admittedly old version of Word (2000) but it has always worked just fine before.
    Can anyone help me with this please? Many thanks.

2. pip22

pip22

"I have tried reinstalling from a disk I had from my old computer, but it doesn't work either."

Please elaborate on that a bit. You mean it won't install from the Office CD or what?

3. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Hi Pip22 I went to Control Panel and clicked on Word and it said it could be "repaired", but when I clicked on that it told me to insert the Word disk. This one came already installed and no disk, but I found one that had come with my previous computer and tried to instal that but no success.
    Word is still installed on here, the first page gives my name as registered user and the product number, but won't budge from there.
    I have downloaded all available microsoft updates.
    Hope that clarifies. thanks

4. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

oh, and actually that is Word in Office Suite (the rest of which I never use). Thanks for your reply and help.

5. Rockn

Rockn

That is not allowed ClementChooi! And installing Office 2010 would not be a solution to the problem. It may be as simple as a corrupt normal.dot file. Try deleting this file and restart Word, it will recreate the default template

6. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

It may be as simple as a corrupt normal.dot file. Try deleting this file and restart Word, it will recreate the default template

Thanks for your input Rockn. I am a bit computer challenged, can you please explain how I delete the normal.dot file? Thanks very much.

7. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Rockn I found out how to do that online, but it hasn't make any difference. Do you have any more suggetions for me? Tks a lot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice