1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Office XP Professional

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AliRay, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AliRay

AliRay Thread Starter

I can't access any Microsoft Office files; (Word / Excel).
    A box appears and says; Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional.
    Then it says; This feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. (Fatal error during installation)
    A box appears and says it's installing
    Microsoft Office XP Professional. Then it gives me a error message: "Error 1706" Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-Rom drive.
    For other potential solutions to this problem, see D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\1033\SETUP.HLP.

Also, it gives me this message; The file is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Office XP Professional. Try to find the installation package "PRO.MSI" in a folder from which you can install Microsoft Office XP Professional.

It just stared doing this today. Each time I try to access any of my files in " Word, Excel or PowerPoint ".

2. OBP

OBP

Has your Computer downloaded a Microsoft "Update"?
    Have you tried "rolling back" your computer to a previous "Restore" point to see if that fixes the problem?
    Have you tried "Repairing" or Reinstalling Office?

3. AliRay

AliRay Thread Starter

I tried restoring the computer to a previous date, but it did not help. I tried the Microsoft Office Recovery, but it did not work either. The computer was given to by my nephew. All the software was already installed. I do not have the original disk and my nephew can't seem to find them as of now. Do I need to go out and purchase new Office Professional software?

Thanks,

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Office installs a core of programs when originally installed, but there are numerous other parts that are installed on an as-needed basis. It is really necessary to have the Office CD handy because this sort of thing can be expected to happen all the time. Not to mention the need for the CD to repair or re-install the program.

You need the CD. If you prefer, you can switch to the free OpenOffice, a very good suite with almost complete MS Office compatibility.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice