1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Optical Mouse Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cildaten, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

Been awhile since I posted here...
    Anyways, I have a Microsoft optical mouse ( Link ). Its a plug and play, never installed any software nor had any problems till now.
    Depending on if I use it or let it sit idle it will turn off, if you will.
    If I start using it, it will just turn off on me somewhere between 5-10 minutes.
    If I take it out of the usb port and plug it back in it works again.
    If I let it sit idle it wont turn off.
    Theres not cuts or anything wrong with the wiring as far as I know. I can move the wire around all I want and it wont go out.
    I tried installing some drivers and updating them for the mouse, no luck there
    I click on mouse properties and it says this device is working properly, even when its turned off.
    Soo.. any suggestions? Maybe the usb ports are faulty or the mouse is losing power?

-Thanks

2. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

/Bump
    No one has any ideas?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Believe it or not, they die. Do you have the adapter that came on it to try Ps2 port?
    If not I would just replace it.

4. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

Oh no, I know they die I was just wondering if there were any alternatives. Local stores around me don't have my mouse and I'm so used to it I don't want another one. I'd have to order it online and I'm not the big on ordering stuff online.
    And no I don't have the adapter, was a gift from someone.. they must of kept it or something.

5. Craigie

Craigie

I have the same problem with my optical mouse. I will intermittently stay connected for a few minutes to hours but suddenly the light goes out and it is no longer recognized as being plugged in. I switched to a regular ball-type mouse and it behaved the same way. So I dug my optical mouse out of the garbage and have been trying to find a solution on-line somewhere.....

I'm wondering since it is hot whether some voltage drop to the USB port may be affecting the connectivity. The more people I ask the more say they have had recent mouse problems too.

I poured over Microsoft and Dell sites but they don't really speak to this issue.

--Craigie

6. bigspooge

bigspooge

i have spent 4 days trying to fix this god damn mouse. i have tried another mouse, and i have all the sudden started having problems on my other pc (same type of microsoft usb optical wheel mouse) and its fkin up now also. if anyone can find a solution for this plz lemme know im sick of talking to microsoft techs that dont even know how to get into the device manager. i have Also tried a thumb mouse(logitech) and now thats fked too :(

7. Craigie

Craigie

I've got some more interesting info.......

Have you noticed sometimes just plugging it back in makes it work for a little while, and sometimes it doesn't recognize it even after plugging it back in? Well if you move the mouse a little WHILE plugging it back in, the machine will always see it (for however short a period of time).

I believe this to be a power issue relating to how hot the environment around the box is. When I have a nice cool day everything works fine all day long. When it is hot, the mouse acts up. Make sure all your vents on the PC are free and clear of debris so you are getting optimum cooling.

--Craigie

8. bigspooge

bigspooge

just have all dust blown out of pc yesterday was thinking something was clogging the PCU or something, but that didnt seem to help either. i did also checked pc temp. personally im thinking because im in michigan usa, i think my humidity lvl being threw the roof could be causing it. im going to buy a small de humidifier for near the pc and leave case off and possibly change the motherboard ifcase its dmged. however it is now only happening with my microsoft optical mouse. and happends on all pcs at my house. so somethun funky is going on with them. and i have about 5 mouses for all my pcs that are same other then my lap top and my thumb logitech and they both work. im gunna do some experamenting on my pcs and see whats wrong with the mouses, if i cant find anything im gunna be contacting microsoft again and demand my mouses be replaced because something with updating might be interfering with there malfuntion

9. Craigie

Craigie

Here in New Hampshire, we just got through a week of very hot weather and ever since that passed, my mouse has worked flawlessly (MS Optical USB).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice