1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Optical Mouse - Right button is failing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phatmattrat, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phatmattrat

phatmattrat Thread Starter

I've got a Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue. I bought it back just over a year ago and it has worked flawlessly up until about a week ago. Thats when I noticed that sometimes, pressing the right mouse button, it does nothing. I have to press it between 2-4 times before it registers. This happens across Windows, in internet browsers, games and normal Windows applications. I originally had v4.1 of the Microsoft Intellipoint drivers installed (this version came on CD with the mouse) when the problems started occuring. I downloaded and installed v5.0 of the Intellipoint drivers, but the problem remains.

Now, sometimes I am a bit rough with the mouse. I have never dropped it or smashed it around, but sometimes when gaming or windows gets me angry, I mash the buttons a bit harder than normal. Anyway, I was thinking of taking it apart and seeing if there might be a foreign substance jammed under the right mouse button or something. The cord seems to be alright, no gnawing or anything done by animals hehe. The mouse is currently operating under USB 2.0. Would switching to PS/2 possibly cure it?

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most likely its getting to the end of its life.

While you could easily check for anything that is affecting the operation as you suggest, I would comment that I go through 1 mouse per year on average.

My use is probably higher than average, but the devices are made down to a price, not up to a quality these days.

3. brite750

brite750

It's dead, buy a new one, a year for a mouse used in gaming is pretty good, especially when you play angry. ;)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It won't hurt to take it apart, but I have to agree, it's probably done. I keep an assortment of mice around, so swapping one is no problem when I want to isolate a problem.

5. junglejeff

junglejeff

Don't buy any more Microsoft mice - unless you want to buy a new one every year. Logitech MX 500 is the corded mouse of choice & will last at least twice as long as the ms product.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I disagree with that Jeff. I am using a microsoft opticle that I bought 3 computers ago. Neat 4 button job with a scroll wheel. I have worn through the white plastic down to the black plastic in quite a few places. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Goes for all of them. My 4 year old MS opticle is still plugging along. I have expected death at any time for a few years, but it is like a Timex.

7. phatmattrat

phatmattrat Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I took it apart this morning, there was a bit of grimey crap on the right mouse button "sensor/button thing", I cleaned that off and blew all the dust out. Put it back together and the problem remains.

I thought mice were supposed to last a little longer, at least longer than video cards!!! Anyway yah. I'm gonna toss this thing at the wall, very hard. Then I'm gonna buy an MX500. Should I spend the extra $20 for the MX700 though? Is it that much better?

8. junglejeff

junglejeff

The MX-700 is wireless. Wireless is great, but subject to interference from other wireless devices. I used to tell everyone to get the MS explorer mouse until two died while gaming & I tried the MX-500. You can feel the difference in quality & precision with the 500 once you pick it up & use it.

9. Topato

Topato

go for the mx700. I've tried both and the 700 is way better on comfort.

10. rockinmale

rockinmale

I have to agree with junglejeff on the logitech mx500. I have to say i really love this mouse with all the buttons and features. The mouse comes with a 3 year warranty. I ran into a problem with the mouse making abnormal noises when i clicked the left side button. Since it was under warranty, i gave logitech a call. After answering all their questions about the mouse. They shipped me out a brand spanking new mouse in the retail box. Since they were shipping me a new mouse and im adventurous enough to find out how stuff works. I took it apart and found out that the button was rubbing up against the housing and making that noise. After a shot of wd40 its been working wonderful once again. If it should ever fail i have a new replacement sitting in the closet. :D

Great mouse and good customer service. Although, I had to make a long distance call to logitech but it was worth it.

Back to your problem
    Maybe your button is getting stuck. It wouldnt hurt if your going to buy a new mouse anyways. Open the mouse and give the buttons a tiny shot of wd40 and work it in by depressing the button numerous times. It may work for you or not, but you got nothing to lose.

If you try it and it works let me know......
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/259816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice