1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft optical wheel mouse and USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CD ROM, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

I purchased a Microsoft Optical wheel mouse and installed the Intellipoint 4.1 software. Then I connected the mouse to the USB port. Nothing happened. I rebooted the computer and got an advice box "unknown usb device detected loading driver". I still did not have an operable mouse. Checking the device manager I found an unknown device under the usb hub. I am stuck here. I tried the mouse on another computer and it works ok. I am running windows 98SE. Where do I go from here?

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello CD!

when you are in device manager, go to the unknown device in the usb hub, right click it and click properties. Look for the "Update driver" button at the bottom. Havr your Mouse CD handy, click the button and follow the instructions.

~Jim

3. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Jim,
    I followed your advice. The result was "The best driver for this device is already installed". I deleted the intellipoint software and tried again with the same results. I am buffaloed. ???? now?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

1)disconnect the mouse from the usb port.

2)boot into safe mode and remove ALL mice from device manager.

3) reboot into normal mode.

4) reconnect the mouse and let windows detect it.

5) when it asks for drivers, point it to the cd.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod

My driver is ver 5.1. But why are you trying to make it a USB mouse? My last computer had a USB mouse and any time I had to start in safe mode the mouse wouldn't work. I made the new one PS-2.

6. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Ichabod,
    Thank you for your advice. I will give it a try. The reason I am trying to set it up as a USB is because I do not have a PS 2 connection. I have a Shuttle Space walker Mother board model HOT-591P which has the Ps 2 mouse pin header. However I have not been able to get the "pig tail" to hook it up to a port on the back of the computer. I am still looking for one. I would prefer to use the ps2 set up. Microsoft even recommends it's use with this mouse.

7. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Jtoast,
    I apologize. I wrote Ichabods name on my post and failed to include your name. Please forgive. I followed your instructions but I still have the same results. I am thinking there must be something wrong with my usb port. I need to try hooking up something else to it maybe that will tell me if the port is bad.
    Thanks for the advice.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd recommend you find or make the header for the PS/2 port, USB mice are problematic in many cases. I believe the Microsoft optical wheel mouse supports USB or PS/2 ports, right?

9. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Hi johnwill,
    Yes the mouse is supposed to support USB & PS2. I am trying to find the ps 2 adapter. No luck so far.

10. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    This isn't a solution, merely a suggestion.

I have a MS wheel mouse optical. It didn't want to work on the USB port either. I didn't even waste time with it but merely plugged it into PS/2 using the adapter. It works perfectly fine and frees up one USB slot for other things.

11. CD ROM

CD ROM Thread Starter

Thanks to all,
    I have determined that the usb port is working. I hooked a digital camera to it and down loaded the pictures to the computer. PS 2 seems to be the answer as soon as I can get the connector.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/106160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice